Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Cleaning Wood Stove Chimney Help
Patgreat
# Posted: 26 Apr 2012 15:57

I have to clean out my chimney this weekend; it has all the signs of having Creosol build up. I got one of those brushes that has two ropes attached to it and you pull it threw to clean it out. It has an 8 inch round stove pipe that goes into a box and then continues out the roof. I wanted to see if anyone has any tips or advice on how to go about it, or things to avoid. I am not really sure what to expect It's my first time doing it.

Thanks in advance

Montanan
# Posted: 26 Apr 2012 17:26

I'm no help, as we'll be in the same situation with the same set-up when we clean ours for the first time this summer. Looking forward to reading the replies, though.

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Apr 2012 17:41

Us too! Still need to buy the brush but any words of wisdom will be much appreciated

MtnDon
# Posted: 26 Apr 2012 18:48

Our stove pipe exits straight out the top of the stove and straight up through the roof. There is one section of insulated pipe that hangs from the mount box. Between the stove exit and the insulated pipe I used a section of telescoping black pipe. The adapter to black pipe bayonets into that insulated pipe bottom, the black pipe is fixed to the adpater with three screws.

When I clean I first slide the lower section of the telescoping part up about six inches. Then I remove the telescoping pipe with the adapter ring; just turn it counterclockwise and it uncouples. I take that outside.

I hang a HD plastic bag over the end of the pipe that hangs from the ceiling box. Over that I wrap a burlap sack to guard against plastic bag cuts or breaks.

On the roof I remove the chimney cap; it bayonets onto the insulated pipe.

My brush is the type that has a flexible fiberglass rod that screws into it. Rods are three or four feet long and can be coupled one to another. From the roof I push the brush down until I feel it reach the end of the pipe. With practice the pipe end can be reached without pushing the brush through where it might tear the plastic bag. I pull it up and out. repeat once as a rule and the chimney is quite clean.

I use the brush and rod to then clean the telescoping pipe with the bottom end in a bucket to catch the debris.

With the black pipe removed I use a shop vac to clean any creosote or ash from the exit area of the stove. Then reassemble the whole thing.

Never used ropes as I like the rods better with a bag to catch the crap at the bottom.

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Apr 2012 09:47

Our issue is going to be cleaning the cap I think. It is too high off the roof to reach.

Patgreat
# Posted: 27 Apr 2012 11:03

thanks for the advice i have a slight turn at the end of my pipe shere it connects to my stove. I am hoping that will not be an issue. My father bought bought me the brush with the ropes attached, i wish i had a set up simiarl to your Mntdon, sounds lik is pretty straight forward. I will let everyone know how it goes.

wakeslayer
# Posted: 27 Apr 2012 12:59

How do you know when to clean the chimney pipe out. I have not yet done it. I have never had a problem with my stove working properly. I know I need to perform this soon just for peace of mind.
Stove was installed in summer of 2007. Based on nearly no use during out long summer trips, 6 days in the Spring, 6 days in the Fall, and then some heavy use for 6 days in the winter, times 6. Sort of adds up to 60 nights and 30 days of use. Mostly poplar and a little pine, fir, and such.
I guess this sort of adds up to one season of moderate use. Is it really necessary at that point?

Anonymous
# Posted: 27 Apr 2012 13:49

They sell stuff u can throw on the fire when u are using the stove that will help to prevent the build up of creosol, not sure of the name any hardware store will sell it.

Signs that u need to clean ur stove are that the stove does not put off as much heat as it use to, when u open the door to add wood smoke comes into the house and sometimes when its really bad u will see the creosol leak down the pipe into the house when u get the stove hot.

There are other posts on the site with more information for you,

Patgreat
# Posted: 30 Apr 2012 09:33

cleaning the chimney was easy. I tied a rope to each end of the brush and put it in the top of the pipe, then I pulled it down into the stove and back up to the top. I repeated this process a few more times. When I was done I shopvac the stove out of any debris that may have fallen into to. I used the stove that night to heat my cabin and man what a difference. It worked great, burned less wood and got much hotter then it did before. I will be doing this every year from now on; it was not as tough as I thought it would be

TomChum
# Posted: 30 Apr 2012 10:32 - Edited by: TomChum

Yesterday I cleaned my stovepipe at home for the first time in 8 years. It had less buildup than my cabin stovepipe (1.5 years). I was noticing that it was not drawing very hard (for example when there's a fluffed up newspaper burning in the firebox and doors open).

My home flue is about 26 feet to the stove. I used the steel brush with 4 foot fiberglas rods (as mtnDon). At about 18 feet I encountered the slip joint and it was not possible to push the brush thru this joint, there was too much flex in the fiberglas rods.

So I took the lower pipe off. I tossed a wire brush in the bag and rubber-banded it over the slipper end, then stuck my hand up in that last 1 foot and scrubbed the slip joint pipe by hand. The 8 foot section of singlewall pipe above the stove (that I removed to access the slipper) had no significant buildup on it.

All in all it was a fairly easy job. Although a lot of the work was on top of 2nd story 7/12 roof. It seems to me that as long as you can get on the roof safely this is not a difficult job to do once a year. It took about 1/2hour for all. I'm glad my pipe is straight.

I'll do the cabin next. It's only 14 feet, probably 10 minutes job. Seems easy enough ------ that sweeping the flue more often looks like less work than worrying about what kind of wood I burn.

skootamattaschm idty
# Posted: 1 May 2012 09:30

I clean my chimney by disconnecting the pipe inside and attaching a bag to the bottom to minimize mess. I then get onto my roof and remove the chimney cap. I take a tall, thin pine sapling and shove that up and down the chimney several times and it works great to remove any buildup. We have been using that method for over 30 years with never a problem.

TomChum
# Posted: 1 May 2012 11:36

Quoting: skootamattaschm idty
I take a tall, thin pine sapling and shove that up and down the chimney several times

Dang.... I paid $16 for the brush and $32 for the fiberglas rods....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.