Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / My latest decision (backhoe)
VTweekender
# Posted: 15 May 2012 19:05

I don't know about everyone here, but I go back and forth on making decisions so bad its rediculous!! on everything..LOL.....Anyhow, this is my latest decision I finally made after beating myself up for a couple months making it...I got my trees down along my road and on my cabin spot...now ready for groundwork...was planning on renting a machine for a week...the machine along with fuel..delivery..insurance etc...was going to be somewhere in the 2k range...I decided to go looking at used machines...found this oldy but goodie for 3k...runs like a bear!!....bought it instead of renting...ready to rip!!!

Good or bad? jury still out!
oliver770-backhoe.jpg
oliver770-backhoe.jpg
oliver770-backhoe2.jpg
oliver770-backhoe2.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 May 2012 19:48

Oh my...if only we had one of those bad boys....the things we could do! Smart buy...you could use it and turn around and sell it for the same price I'm sure! Congrats...good decision!!!!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 15 May 2012 21:21

Good buy as long as you know how to safely handle heavy equipment. We don't and would have to get some training. Would love to have your set up. Paying to put in the long road to our cabin cost us 4k and that was a good deal.

Aqua
# Posted: 16 May 2012 06:58

That's smart and great that it cost not even 50% more!

fpw
# Posted: 16 May 2012 09:29 - Edited by: fpw

I did the same think in 2007 and purchased an Oliver 880 with a front end loader for 3K. One of the best things I ever did. I've used that beast for grading, hauling, skidding, and most importantly lifting all the logs up onto my building. I can't imagine the time it would have taken without the machine.

Even better, these old tractors engines and support systems are straight forward...points, plugs, gravity feed gas, etc. Quite easy to maintain and fix.

I've been offered 4K on two different occasions for my tractor; however, I just can't part with it.

You gotta watch out now. When you start thinking about the price of planking, flooring, and framing. Same logic applies. I ended up with a new TimberKing 1220 sawmill, as well.

sparky1
# Posted: 16 May 2012 09:45

Those were Great Deals--
very smart moves

rayyy
# Posted: 16 May 2012 17:27

If she runs good,that's a super deal.That will be mighty handy on many of your projects.

hattie
# Posted: 16 May 2012 18:14

WOW....Now that's equipment for the SERIOUS cabin builder. What a great buy! You won't regret buying it. All your neighbours and friends will be wanting to use it now.

VTweekender
# Posted: 16 May 2012 19:39

Thanks everyone! I am feeling like I made the right decision now! Yes she runs like a top....going to do a bit of tinkering on it this weekend, just want to change a cable and little things like that.. then next weekend we will be in full project mode...fpw...don't get me goin on the sawmill!!...we are kind of a mini Oliver tractor club now!!

fpw
# Posted: 18 May 2012 14:19

VTweekender,

Wait till you get to needing that lumber...the sawmill will look very lucrative. I think it is a disease.
TK 1220
TK 1220

brokeneck
# Posted: 19 May 2012 12:53 - Edited by: brokeneck

I want one!!

analogmanca
# Posted: 22 May 2012 10:42 - Edited by: analogmanca

VTweekender
Great buy, those old tractors can be kept running near forever.
One thing, and this is from experience, as the cener of gravity is often a little higher, and as the ground you use it on will likely be more challenging than the flat plowed field it was designed for, please pull out the welder, and add a little more expanded metal,and steel to that cab.
I would suggest a seat belt as well to keep you in it, and padding on the sides of the cab up to head level.
The value of these addition will not become clear untill you are sideways on a slight incline using the backhoe to lift something up.......and up...then over you go.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.