Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Let me hear SUCCESS Stories - Can the cabin be better than the dream of one?
. 1 . 2 . >>
TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 14:53

We are a year into a cabin build. So we are at the point where we are excited, but aslo sick of to-dos and just want to be "finished".

As I visited recently I started to compare the cabin we are wrapping up to others in the area and cabins we stayed in when I was a kid. It was actually taking our son out in the little fishing boat when it dawned on me. Can it ever be as good as I'd dreamed or remembered it being?

I thought the position of reponsibility owner might come in the way of truly letting go, relaxing, etc.

So I am hoping you have success stories to get me/us through this hump.

Dillio187
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 15:00

whenever I'm feeling like that, I stop with the obsessive building/work and do what the cabin is supposed to be used for...relaxing and enjoying nature.

all work and no play...stop for a few weeks and enjoy yourself!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 17:14

There's is no end.......Just enjoy the days there, even if others call it work. Don't have the kids work. They'll beg to do some after a while.

Owen

rayyy
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 17:17

We hear yah,TCC.It was this time last year when I stuck my first pole in the ground for my cabin.Now I look back at my day by day progress over the past year and am very pleased and satisfied with my cabin.I managed to survive the winter (from january 1) till now.It was tough but I did it.I do love the challenge and after everybody said I was nut's for doing this,they now saw I can't believe this,,,this is soooooo cool!I just grin from ear to ear when I hear that.And your to-do list will never really end if it did,you'd be board in a couple of weeks.I look at it like putting a puzzle together.Every weekend I get a couple more pieces in place.I am so glad I went for the gusto cause 20 years from now I'd be looking back and saying"IM GLAD I DID IT instead of,,,YOU IDIOT WHY DIDNT YOU.

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 17:18

Quoting: OwenChristensen
Don't have the kids work. They'll beg to do some after a while.

Hmmmmm....waiting,waiting,waiting...so far none of the kids have begged to work!!!!!!!!!!!

hattie
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 22:27

It took a long time to get our place built to the way we wanted it. We didn't do it ourselves (that was beyond our capabilities), but we did design it all so it is our dream home. It felt like we would never be finished and even now that we have been finished for 4 years, there are still things to do, repair and tinker with. I'm glad we made the move and wouldn't want to be living anywhere else. On days when we feel overwhelmed, we jump on the quad, ride up the mountain and take a long, slow look over the world below. That's what it's all about - beauty, nature, and peace. This life is so much better than either of us ever imagined it could be.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 23:44

hattie, I think you're right. It is those little moments that silent the mind and recharge the spirit. For me it is taking the boat out in the morning or evening. Especially during the week, there is no one else out there. I kill the motor and just let the wind push me. Looking around and in the sky. Peaceful.

I also agree with others that it will never truly be "finished" and I like that about this adventure. However we can't technically stay in our place until we have a final inspection. Yes we are in a county that wants to inspect and grant occupancy. We keep saying we just have a few more things to do, and then a few more.

I think it will be better when we eliminate that pressure. I just needed to hear you all say it was worth it in the end.

THANKS!

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Jun 2012 09:17

TheCabinCalls-

I like your name by the way. We are still slowly working towards getting our place done too. It has been 5.5 years since we bought our land. I understand and can relate to what you are saying. Our place has become my sanctuary. It is where I can go and really feel the world slip away. It is always a little (sometimes a lot!) depressing to lock that cabin door behind me when the weekend is over.

cabingal3
# Posted: 17 Jun 2012 23:34

i heard it said the cabin is never finished.
i remember as a child ,my dad buying a cabin from a plantation.and having it hauled to our property in la.
i loved it so.i love it still.i got hooked then on cabin life.
after 55 yrs ,my brother sent me a photo of my ole uncle humbug in the kitchen of the cabin.it made me cry to see the old cabin.never thought i would ever see it again.
we work and we play when we r out at the property.we get up and check the temp.its always a topic of conversation.we put on the coffee and turn on the heat.alot of times i go out in the freezing cold and walk about the meadow.see what animal prints i can see.
i never want to leave.the quiet,no computers,phones,kids playing video games loudly...animals all about.its the best there is on this ole earth for me.

brokeneck
# Posted: 18 Jun 2012 23:40

Quoting: OwenChristensen
There's is no end.......Just enjoy the days there, even if others call it work. Don't have the kids work. They'll beg to do some after a while.

Owen

That sums it up -- the build is the hobby -- as long as it's dried in relax and go fishing --

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 19 Jun 2012 07:56

Quoting: brokeneck
That sums it up -- the build is the hobby -- as long as it's dried in relax and go fishing --

or go HUNTING or fishing or both !!!!! so true--when i start getting burned out on the project---i just knock off for a month or so.....no finish date for me!!!!

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 19 Jun 2012 09:36

I totally agree. We just have inspectors and permit deadlines to adhere to. We should start a thread all on how regulations are killing the true meaning of cabins.

Our requirements:
- dried in 1 year
- cannot occupy until finished
- finished 2 years
- radon system
- irc 2006 code book
- no ladders, minimum size requirements, minimum bedroom size and egress.

Some are for real safety some are overboard. We got by with doing some of the things by not putting them on the plan. Like small sleeping nook is a utility closet on plan.

So we finish up this summer or pay another permit fee and the wife wants to sleep there legally.

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Jun 2012 10:57

Agreed! We had 2 years to get the outside totally completed-inside they don't care. All building codes had to be met and energy efficiency requirements for the building which I am forgetting what they called that-(amount of insulation vs window/door openings)-what a nightmare that was to figure out and modify!

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 19 Jun 2012 11:38

Yeah, we had to prove energy too. they called it a RES-Check. I just downloaded the software from a govt page and filled it out myself. what I found was as long as the number exceeded they didn't really understand the report at all.

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Jun 2012 14:20

That's it-we just left out some of our windows for the report but told the inspector we were putting them in later-he didn't care.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 15 Aug 2012 10:05

Sorry to drag out an out post, but I wrote the original plea because we were in a bad place physically/mentally. We were working all the time and when we did take time to play it wasn't as fluid or enjoyable as I remembered it being as a kid. Too much responsibility for me.

I wanted to follow-up. We got occupancy and the stress/burden lifted. We now enjoy it all. The yard work, fishing, hanging pics, swimming, canoeing and cooking over the fire.

So to give hope to those feeling the pain. It too shall pass! And it gets way better. We stay for a weekend and it feels like we have been there a week. Friends come for an evening and stay the whole weekend. Stress really falls off at the cabin!

New memories and traditions already...

Press on!

Malamute
# Posted: 15 Aug 2012 11:25 - Edited by: Malamute

Glad you got over the hump.

I find that when I'm not working, I enjoy just being home (home is the cabin). Some find it hard to get a grip on that, that I'm happy just hanging out at home on time off. I do short trips in the mountains adventuring around (heading out in a few minutes actually, supposed to be a cool rainty day, perfect for running around in the mountains with the dog!) but am generally happy just being home.

rayyy
# Posted: 23 Aug 2012 18:28

It's so true.I had to leave the rat race behind.I simply couldn't afford it any longer.I don't mind spending the money but when it start's to exceed what I make in a week,It's time to make a change.I'm happy to say this new life style has been an enormus
possitive in my life.I now am making a profit in income which is an awesome feeling.Money ahead instead of money behind.

Woodthrush
# Posted: 27 Mar 2013 16:19

I got divorced at age 54 and gave up just about all my income, kept the retirement intact and kept my dogs. I could hardly afford anything and I was scared. Found this place, small shell on 5 acres, foreclosed, got it for $13K. Ran electricity and put up walls, put up a fence for the dogs. And it has been a lifesaver, peaceful, bills are paid, hear the birds, the stream, the owls. Thank God above because I looked at 40 places and this was not only the one I wanted, but it was the only one I could afford. It is a piece of heaven and it's mine. I haven't been so calm in 20 years.

rayyy
# Posted: 27 Mar 2013 18:34

Same here Woothrush.I must have looked at a dozen other lot's.All,,,just,,,OK lots.Either to far away,to expensive,to much work,not big enough,to near a noise source(main highway),,,When I stumbled on to this lot,,,,3 miles from work.3 miles from town.On a quiet back country road.2 acres of field,2 acres of woods.Nice creek running through the property.Priced to sell,,,,HOLY COWWWW!!!I kept walking through it over and over again.I could clearly see things in my mind.There is the barn.There is the cabin.There is the driveway,there is the pasture,there is the garden,,,,,,Can I pull this off?????The answer is YES,YES,YESSSSS!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Mar 2013 20:57 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

To me, the cabin was relaxing. But I had a bunch of buddys would come out sometimes for big projects and we would get so much done in 4 days. I had to feed them, but they worked hard. I have a son in law who donated lots of time, but I paid him well anyway. Rest, just wanted food. They all enjoyed being part of the build.

Its finished now and I manage to make up some stuff to do. I can always make improvements around the property. This spring, sawing off lots of lower branches around the cabin and running them through the chipper. Got my GPS with 3 axis compass, need to mark my north and southern boundary so my fence guy can trim the trees and install fence. Split and stack some firewood... I have 5 full days there and not enough work to keep me busy on most of it, so there will be lots of R&R too.

Hang in there, there is the light at the end. And sounds like you are getting closer. I did my dried in shell in 9 days, then it was about 2 yrs before it was totally done, with 6 trips with large crews and lots of good food.

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 27 Mar 2013 23:14

Ahhhh the dream....

In my case the dream was constantly in motion. "A" Frame on a lake.. No wait, how about building a replica of a light house. A log cabin would be nice.... Or timber frame?

Another problem was that my expectations seemed to stay beyond reach of my finiancial resources.

Then I was fortunate to have a second voice enter the picture. As we searched and visited various properties, my better half would point out travel times from home; remind me that going to town to pick up the missing bolt involved a two hours round trip... or question the need to hike through a swamp to gain access to the latest cabin on the list.

I had always wanted a water feature, lake shore or a river that could float a canoe.

In the end the reality did not align with any of the previous dreams. And we could not be happier

Our find is not on lake shore or attached to a river bank. We discovered a development a few miles inland from Lake Superior. The view is great on a clear day, during electrical storms it is amazing. In addition to the lake view, we can listen to the rumble of water cascading over a 35+ waterfall. The Shabin is 250 feet from the driveway and all materials need to be carried down a foot path to the build site.

I expect that there will always be to-do lists and new opportunities. Bring them on. As the sun sets I cannot think of any place I would rather be. Many times I have posted on facebook about a magical evening around the fire enjoying the view with my lovely wife. Typically she is also posting about labor camp

In the end, our reality has exceeded all of my previous dreams.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 28 Mar 2013 06:22

what a great topic!
one question though..
why is it after you've worked all day and sit down to relax, you think of 10 other things that need done?

Alaskaman
# Posted: 4 Apr 2013 20:13 - Edited by: Alaskaman

Mine is a labor of love. This is me, this has all of me in it. The good and the bad. It took me two years and a lot of hard work, but the shell is done and I even have running water now.
SolsticeCabin.jpg
SolsticeCabin.jpg

Purplerules
# Posted: 5 Apr 2013 11:54

WAY BETTER than the Dream!
Even with all the work.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 5 Apr 2013 13:26

As the original poster I must say to anyone going through hard times and stress trying to make your cabin dream come true:

IT IS WORTH IT!

There are times when I remember it being very stressful, but it seems far enough away that no emotion is brought to life.

We got the cabin to a point where it can be used and the rest of the to-dos don't stress us out and we can enjoy it!!
Cabin interior
Cabin interior

Purplerules
# Posted: 9 Apr 2013 23:45

I am speechless, that is gorgous!
Many years of enjoyment ahead.

Woodthrush
# Posted: 29 Apr 2014 10:14 - Edited by: Woodthrush

Small update....I am two years in this cabin now and it is still a miracle to me. In the meantime I remarried my first husband after 20 years apart, it is a miracle too.

So we will add on a room in time, but this is home and I have never been so glad to have done something in my life. You don't need a big home to be happy, this is 13 x 19 and someday we may add running water, but bottled works fine for now. We joined the YMCA and for now we take our showers there on the way to work.

mongo1
# Posted: 29 Apr 2014 18:44

Basically like the others said.Work on the cabin but make time to enjoy it too.I built mine last fall-got it done on the outside-insulated the inside and woodstove in then hunting and trapping took over.Last week I headed up for 5 days-built my deck and steps-hung my gutters and downspouts -then fun-fishing and hiking-cut and split wood which i love to do.Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!mongo

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 29 Apr 2014 20:22 - Edited by: stickbowcrafter

Great thread to keep alive for us going through the build. Heck I'm not even on the cabin build yet, just a 12x12 two-story shed barn for storage and a sleeping loft. I'm loving every minute of it.

Bought the 40 acres last year and stressed all year not having a place to stay. The closest hotel was getting expensive and a hassle to drive to and from. I got an early start this year in the cold and mud but I'm almost dried in on the barn.

I also am not on any time schedule, no permits or inspections to worry about either, and I look forward to having a cozy loft to sleep in while I take my time on the cabin. The farm is a 90 minute drive from home.

This is my second farm and exactly what I always wanted. I didn't build anything on the 25 acres I owned for four years before this because I truly knew I wanted something different. Glad I found this new place when I did. I built the house we live in when I was 23 in the suburbs close to good paying careers for me and my wife. I'm building this barn at 39 and so thankful I didn't wait any longer. My girls are 11 and 9, the perfect ages to understand, appreciate and enjoy the opportunity we have unlike a lot of the zombies in the suburbs back home.

I can retire with a full pension at 55. I have a 5 year plan to have my property pretty much set up the way I've dreamed about. That will give me a place to escape from work for my last ten years there and a lot to look forward to upon retirement.

Best of luck to all of you, I hope the Good Lord blesses you all like He has done for me and my family.

My property tour

-Brian

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.