Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / 4 feet down in water
mojo43
# Posted: 24 Jun 2012 17:22

I had a plan to build a 9X12 post and pier building, but I dug two holes and when I reached 4 feet down water started to seep up. 10 minutes later the bottom of the hole had an inch of water in it. What do I do now????

i have no idea where to go from here. (4feet is the frost line)

thanks in advance

steveqvs
# Posted: 24 Jun 2012 17:32

Put your well in? Sorry I just had too.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 24 Jun 2012 17:33

What part of the country are you building in??

mojo43
# Posted: 24 Jun 2012 17:33

Yes apparently I will be saving money on the digging process.... anyone?

mojo43
# Posted: 24 Jun 2012 17:35

Ontario, canada

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 24 Jun 2012 18:44

I guess if it were me I would have to say set it on a gravel base!?

trollbridge
# Posted: 24 Jun 2012 19:12

Has it rained a lot there? We have had the same problem but if you wait a week it could easily be dry. We have had no problems with our post moving even when the ground is totally soggy. Good luck!

mojo43
# Posted: 24 Jun 2012 19:27

Are you in the same area? It hasn't rained that much, but I would think that the posts would move in the winter if there was that much water?

trollbridge
# Posted: 24 Jun 2012 20:08

No we are in northern Wisconsin but 4 feet is also our frost line. The only thing I can really say is that if there has been a lot of rain and we dig a hole for a post it will sometimes fill with water. Other times we can dig away and the hole will stay dry. A deeper hole-5 feet?-with gravel or rock in the bottom may help. I would suspect that your water is just temporary and nothing to worry about but I don't know for certain.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 24 Jun 2012 20:12

Water isn't a problem if you can get your form tube in. When you pour the concrete in the water will overflow the top of the tube and will set fine.

Owen

mojo43
# Posted: 25 Jun 2012 16:05

Thanks Owen, I called the local lumber yard and they told me same thing so I guess it's back to digging!!

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 26 Jun 2012 15:56

yay good news!!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.