Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Family bought a cottage in the wilds of Haliburton ... how to make useable in winter
speee
# Posted: 28 Jun 2012 14:08

Hey all,

My family recently purchased a three season cottage in haliburton ontario...

Most of my family does not care about using the place during the frigid winter months but id like to head up 3-4 times to do some sledding / ice fishing.

The water lines are NOT heated and there is a septic on site for waste.

What would be the cheapest and easiest way to have useable water during the winter? and a useable toilet..

Thanks all

bobbotron
# Posted: 28 Jun 2012 14:53

My parents have a cottage near Apsley, welcome!

For the winter, an outhouse or composting toilet is your best bet for a usable toilet.

As for water, bring it up or chop a hole in the ice?

justincasei812
# Posted: 28 Jun 2012 15:10

I have a cabin in northern Michigan and after the first good freeze the water is shut off and drained until spring. I still use the cabin during the winter months when I can get back into it. We haul our water in 10 to 15 gallons for the weekend. This would include flushing the toilet a few times a day, drinking water, cooking, etc. Make sure the toilet is drained well before leaving. I usually put RV antifreeze in the tank and bowl a flush the last bit of water out (that way if any water is in the drain pipes it should have some antifreeze in it) then put more in tank and bowl. Every once in a while I will put a little in the drains as well just to make sure all drains are good to go.

Kevin

bobbotron
# Posted: 28 Jun 2012 15:44

Ah yes, I've done the same at a cottage in the winter. Antifreeze in the toilet when you leave to avoid freezing, haul in water to manually refill the tank after flushing.

Anonymous
# Posted: 28 Jun 2012 22:26

Since all the plumbing has been winterized I would bring a porta potty and haul in water and a bucket to dump gray water into that can be dumped outside insted of down the drains.

Jon G
# Posted: 28 Jun 2012 23:45

If you were to build / change your system, how would you set it up to use in the winter, hot shower after a long day on the sled would be nice

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 Jun 2012 11:02

Everybody needs to experience a frigid outhouse on a freezing cold winters day don't they??? You'll get really good at going fast!

Congratulations on your purchase. Hope you get many, many years of enjoyment out of it!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.