Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / The sweet smell of smoke.
OwenChristensen
# Posted: 14 Jul 2012 09:46

I always have a fire in the fire pit. Even in warm weather. I have a lot of wood and by burning it helps keep the area arround the cabin clean and also, I think the smoke waffes through the brush and tree leaves drives off bugs.
I know it burns up fast , but basswood smells great. Popple smoke smells good too. That's about all the sweet smelling wood we have here in Northern MN. The oak, maple are nothing spectacular, they just burn longer. The evergreens have a nice sound to them, with all the popping.
Do you have favorites where your cabin is?

Owen

Owen
the grandkids
the grandkids

cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Jul 2012 11:46

Owen,i love the smell of smoke anywhere ...except when i go to our woods.its in a wildfire area...but i love that smell.its homey and wonderful.makes me think of hunkering down by the campfire and drinking coffee and looking at the wonderful nature all about.
we mostly can only have fires in our neck of the woods after fire season is over and it seems to be till the first snow happens.
i love to get up early and walk on the meadow early in the morning.once gar and i slept out in the meadow just in sleeping bags and under the stars.
i love that.to see all the stars with no city lite to dampen down the brightness of the nite.and i love when the moon is full.makes the nite so so brite u dont even need a flashlite.
i love when we catch fish and gar puts them in the smoker-especially when its fall.the wind just blows that smell all over the neighborhood.of course we dont live at our cabin.i dont know how we will smoke our fish then.maybe strung up over a campfire???
there is everything i love about the woods and nothing i dont love.

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 14 Jul 2012 12:39 - Edited by: DaJTCHA

Given the photographic proof above, I'm not stepping outside any boundaries by making the statement, "THAT THERE IS A CAMP FIRE OWEN!"

Nothing like the smell of fire. We've got a decent pit area, but the ring in the middle is a bit too small. We're hoping that we can come across a bigger ring and use it, because I like a big warming fire where you can become mesmerized by the flames and actually feel the warmth. With the small fire ring rim, we've got to build it up pretty high to feel that. I recently dug a hole and submerged it about half way into the ground. That helped and now we can build it up and over without too much of a problem.

Two things I really enjoy doing on the fire is can cooking veggies, beans, whatever and making smores. As soon as my children smell the burning fire, "Daddy, are we going to make s'mores?" is the next thing I hear!
Our firepit at Trout Camp
Our firepit at Trout Camp

cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Jul 2012 13:17

Owen.wow.that is some camp fire.wow.u believe in doing this up big.
well i am so sorry i thought your photo was of a nativity scene.getting ole.too old to see.i thought to myself why did he post a xmas scene...not till i clicked to see it did i see its u and your grandbabies.u have a nice looking family.

cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Jul 2012 13:18

DaJTCHA
man!your place is great.u got it going on.the firepit area all bricked in and u all look like u are having the greatest of times.wonderful.i enjoyed seeing these so much.

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 14 Jul 2012 13:26 - Edited by: DaJTCHA

Cabingal3-

Thank you. The bricks were free off of CList, but the (4) 135 mile trips to get them up to camp and the back breaking leveling to get them there was not! I've got another 300 square feet of free bricks (not pictured) up there waiting for the time that I'm ready to beat my body up some more.

cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Jul 2012 13:32

wow!! u did really good.your whole cabin and camp is wonderful.love it alot.good job.u went thru alot of work to make it all look perfect!!i love Clist!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 14 Jul 2012 15:05

Yes, It's a great time. That's not me in the picture , it' my son with his two daughters and a couple of my oldest daughter's boys. No shortage of sticky marshmellow goo.

Owen

cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Jul 2012 18:01

Quoting: OwenChristensen
it' my son

he looks like u.sorry for my mistake.your family is lovely.and man! now thats a firepit.love it.

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Jul 2012 21:46

I love when we have been to the cabin during the cold months and I have a coat or sweatshirt that I wore during a bonfire and then go to put it on again days after getting home and smell the smoke in it again - takes me right back........

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 14 Jul 2012 21:53

i like burning hickory or pine/cedar---
now this fall i have lots of hemlock scraps for campfires...

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 14 Jul 2012 23:40

At Pelican lk. northern MN.

owen
pelican_lake.gif
pelican_lake.gif

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 14 Jul 2012 23:45

Well I must be the only one that loves the cabin and the outdoors but I don't like the smell of campfire...YUK...I especially dont like the smell in my hair or on my clothes when I go to bed at night after a campfire.... nasty...
Here is a pic anyways..
Here is a pic anyways..

naturelover66
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 07:04

Youre not the only one who hates smoke and fire....... Ive never understood the appeal.

sparky1
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 08:35

I generally Like a campfire--But there are some wood--"old and rotted" that do stink, Not sure which actual trees it comes from,
PS;; never burn Treated wood of any kind, plastic milk jugs etc,like that,dangerous chemicals come off them.
Just have a great & safe campout & fire,
sparky1.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 17:09

We love campfire smoke smell.
At Cabin
At Cabin
At Home
At Home

cabingal3
# Posted: 16 Jul 2012 05:59

Quoting: CabinBuilder
We love campfire smoke smell.

me too.its the best.When i think campfire-i think homey,woodsy,hunkered down drinking a mug of hot coffee and talking or not and looking at the nature all around.it feels like we are encased in everything wonderful.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.