Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Camp Accessories?
DaJTCHA
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 12:44 - Edited by: DaJTCHA

I wondered what type of accessories you may have at your camp? We have a ritual at ours and upon arrival we place out our fisherboy, mini fishing rod and rubber toy snake on the step to our shed mahal. Soon, I will also be raising the Gadsden flag up a newly install flag pole as well. (photos coming)

What silly things to you set out as part of making camp uniquely yours?

justincasei812
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 13:01 - Edited by: justincasei812

We don't necessarily set out anything but we do have a bell (kind of like a dinner bell) that is rung as the first thing we do and the last thing we do before leaving. It is hangs by the front door and is not touched at any other time during our stay. It was found under the cabin partially buried a few months after I bought the cabin and put it up and started the "tradition" jokingly, now it is a tradition of sorts.

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 13:36

Those types of family traditions are the best! I like that idea. We need an announcement dinner bell at the end of our drive into camp only because the drive is an easement shared by two property owners and also provides private (for those that own lots there and know of this provision) access the Allegheny National Forest that is behind us. Having a bell with some sort of sign that read, "Announced visitors always welcome! Ring bell on way in please." could help us be more aware because you can't see anyone traveling past until it is too late, not that there is much traffic to start with though.

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 13:42

Our Camp Mascot(s):
Fisherboy & Snakey
Fisherboy & Snakey

steveqvs
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 13:47

We always listen to The Ozark Mountain Daredevils on the ride down.
ozark.jpg
ozark.jpg

wakeslayer
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 17:44

I always drink a Moose Drool on the way up to the cabin.

Once I get off the highway it is a ten mile drive. Just enough time.

Morning, noon, or night.

hattie
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 22:45

Quoting: justincasei812
We don't necessarily set out anything but we do have a bell (kind of like a dinner bell) that is rung as the first thing we do and the last thing we do before leaving. It is hangs by the front door and is not touched at any other time during our stay. It was found under the cabin partially buried a few months after I bought the cabin and put it up and started the "tradition" jokingly, now it is a tradition of sorts.

WOW!! That is a GREAT tradition for your cabin!!! I really like that idea!

Anonymous
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 22:59

Quoting: wakeslayer
I always drink a Moose Drool on the way up to the cabin.

That's beer. Not a smart thing to do IMO.

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 28 Jul 2012 10:25

If it is a 10 mile walk to camp, then a couple of moose drools would be appropriate, but I have to agree with Anonymous on that one.

groingo
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 12:34

I used to drink Bear Wizz Beer, makes an encounter with a bear and an unloaded gun an experience to be sure!

justincasei812
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 21:54

Thank you Hattie. Just got back from being at the cabin. Took some friends up that had never been up before and they had no idea what just happened as I got out of the truck and walked up to the door and rang the bell. They were getting their stuff out of the truck and jumped from the noise Then had to explain what is going on. Had a great time other than the generator catching fire and the shed as well Got very lucky that someone walked out and seen the smoke rolling out of the shed!!!!

wakeslayer
# Posted: 30 Jul 2012 17:17

It's A beer. A.

The bar that burned down half way up the road used to require you to check your pistol at the door...

Relax folks. A beer. A.

geez..... it's about as reckless as running a little grey water on the ground... or not using safety glasses running a screw driver...

justincasei812
# Posted: 30 Jul 2012 22:38

I agree with you wakeslayer. It's a beer. You are off the main road and probably doing under 35 mph down a dirt road in the middle of no where. People need to remember that one beer an hour and your system can process it. Now if you were talking a six pack a little different but really it's just a beer.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 31 Jul 2012 14:34

Now that the tangent is over...

We have a cowbell from Switzerland that is rung before every meal.

We also got a long roll of paper so we could hang it on the wall and have people write messages coming or going. I liked the roll idea so it could be rolled up and saved once it is filled.

We also have a galvanize bucket that the kids have to wash their feet in before they enter the house. We fill it and leave it there all day - until we figure out an outdoor shower...

Kudzu
# Posted: 31 Jul 2012 18:35

Never heard of Moose Drool, bet it is not sold in the South. Maybee I can order it, would love to try one.

wakeslayer
# Posted: 1 Aug 2012 11:26

@Kudzu

Big Sky Brewery Missoula, MT. They have pretty good distribution these days.

Slow Elk is also fantastic, but really tough to get, even here in MN.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 8 Aug 2012 08:50

Another thing we have at the cabin that people flock to is a canning jar turned into a candy dispenser. It is full of skittles right now. People just keep coming back to it...not sure they even notice they are doing it. It only gives 2 or 3 at a time.

steveqvs
# Posted: 8 Aug 2012 09:27

that canning jar candy dispenser calls for a picture here!

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 8 Aug 2012 09:56

I haven't cropped this pic. But it is in the right corner of the page...pre-skittles! Doesn't pack the color punch without : <
Where's my candy!
Where's my candy!

trollbridge
# Posted: 9 Aug 2012 17:59 - Edited by: trollbridge

Funny! I was always thinking that I had to have a special old fashioned jar that held a variety of those old fashion candy sticks...the ones with the different color swirls that have different flavors. I always wanted that cause I thought it would be fun for the grandchildren. Now that we are expecting a baby ourselves I'm not so sure if it is a good idea! How do I spoil the grandkids rotten but not my own??? Hmmm...

Borrego
# Posted: 9 Aug 2012 21:58

We open up the place, put up the Stars and Stripes and set up our animal and bird feeders and go to work. One day we will get to relax more......

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.