Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Does anyone on here do any hand hewing?
Swamphunter
# Posted: 6 Aug 2012 18:05

I love woodworking, but have recently been bitten by the "hand hewing and bushcraft" bug. I like fine woodworking, but appreciate the rustic look of cabin life. I am going to hand hew my cherry mantle for above my wood stove and also my four posts for my front porch out of cedar to match the decking. Does anyone else do any hand hewing?

Malamute
# Posted: 7 Aug 2012 08:37

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "hand hewing", but all the log work I've done has been hand peeled with a drawknife.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 7 Aug 2012 08:40 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

I'd like to see what you do. I build a few cabins each year with 1/2 log siding. When I offer the hewn log, most choose it, even though it costs fifty cents a foot more. I do like it myself.

Owen

Swamphunter
# Posted: 8 Aug 2012 00:55

I'll be sure to post some pics... Im an amateur at it, but will be sure to include some decent pics of my work. Probably will be spring before I hew the mantel and 4x4's as I am recovering from an extensive elbow surgery and dont want to "undo" what the Doc "did"... lol

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 8 Aug 2012 06:56

Yes, be careful with your recovery. I just started a big tree house for me and the grandkids. I found a four trunk oak on one of my woods trails, so I built twelve feet off the ground. For now it's just a 8'x10' platform and knee wall, trap door and steep stairway.
A few days ago I built them a two hundred foot zip line next to it. This is at our home not the cabin. They already had a thirty foot tire swing in another oak. It's real fun at Bappa's,

Owen

steveqvs
# Posted: 8 Aug 2012 09:29

ahh, i have been wanting to do a zip line too... just never got around to it.......

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.