Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Anyone use Mesh or Tarp for shade/cover?
TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 8 Aug 2012 08:55

We lost a locust tree in a storm this summer. Would not have missed the thorny tree except it was completely shading our dock. Our son would spend all day out there, but now when it hits 11 he is done until after 4. SAD.

So I have been looking at these shade fabrics they have. I like the idea of the mesh that lets a little light through. It won't help much in the rain, but it won't seem overly dark either.

Our dock is 6' x 16' It has 1 7/8" pipe every 8' feet (so 6).

Have any of you used this stuff with any success or otherwise?

steveqvs
# Posted: 8 Aug 2012 09:25

Yes we bought some and use it with a pergola. Works great. i think we used a 90% block and it lets light and rain through. It was expensive but we take it in during the winters and have used it about 5 or 6 years now. We got ours thru a garden center. I also found using zip ties the big ones really secure it well from storms.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 8 Aug 2012 10:00

Hmm. I found a few sites online that have them for not much money at all. they even sell the bungie ball loops to secure them.

I think they were around $42 for a 7x16'. maybe I am not looking at the right stuff:

http://www.creativeshelters.com/Tarps/Canopy-Tarp.aspx?fnMenuName=GoldenTanSunShadeSc reenMesh

Kudzu
# Posted: 8 Aug 2012 10:57

Have used it to cover a chicken coop, worked great, but be sure to secure it well, a good wind will cause you problems if you don't.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 8 Aug 2012 11:01

Like the mesh will tear or the frame will lift?

They recommend 40 bungies for this size.

I am building the frame out of 1 7/8" Glavanized plumbing pipe. So the frame should hold strong.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 8 Aug 2012 11:03

What kind of fabric did you use?

bhebby
# Posted: 8 Aug 2012 19:33

I work in the shading industry and I would recommend getting something nice. Some entry level fabrics are Awntex or phifertex. Sunbrella and Ferrari make the best but its 15.00 plus a yard. If you want to go super cheap you can get some material tarps that a nursery would use over their shade plants from a agriculture supply house. As long as its secured properly it should last awhile.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 8 Aug 2012 22:15

We looked at sunbrella for awnings, but do they sell 7'x16 size with grommets?

Thanks!

bhebby
# Posted: 9 Aug 2012 06:55

all fabric is sold by the yard in a bolt like any other fabric. Most shade cloth comes in either 46" or 60" goods so you will need about 12-13 yds. You can purchase a grommet tool from harbor freight for 5 bucks or so and place grommets wherever you want. I would check ebay for a discontinued pattern or pop into a local awning or boat canvas shop and I would be fairly positive they have a bolt of fabric that has been sitting around they would love to turn into cash.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.