Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / How much $ to build a decent cabin for one person?
eliz
# Posted: 9 Aug 2012 00:22

Looking for a minimal cabin to pay to build somewhere where I decide to purchase land? I am curious on a quota for a decent cabin on wheels? price range and anything I would need to know to start preparing

VTweekender
# Posted: 9 Aug 2012 07:31

It is virtually impossible to answer this without know every detail of the build and what your needs are. If you google "tumbleweed mobile cabins" they build what your looking for.

GomerPile
# Posted: 9 Aug 2012 11:12

I built the tumbleweed XS house (and use it heavily )...the answer it depends.

If you can deal with living in a ~66sf cabin then that sets the size you are looking for.

+ Do you really need it on wheels (a smal place is easily moved)?
+ Do you need a toilet and shower?
+ Do you need a source of heat (propane or wood)?
+ Will you need power (what do you need to run)?
+ Do you need to cook?

I have solutions for all these issues and a good idea on cost....post your response and I wll answer best I can.

groingo
# Posted: 10 Aug 2012 13:51 - Edited by: groingo

A camping trailer would be a better investment, get around hoard of rules and regulations and you can get them dirt cheap depending on what you want to do with it.

The brands I would look for with best construction and insulation would be Holiday Rambler, Jayco, Alpenlite, something with fiberglass exterior and aluminum framing and preferably not over 10 years old.
The nice thing about them is the tilt outs, use of space and they just plug in.
Then if you still have the urge to build something you can do that as well.
Just a lot more bang for the buck.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 10 Aug 2012 14:34 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Yeah, your question is way to broad for an one answer. There are 100 answers to it.
I know what I build and can give MN prices. The same thing elsewhere will be different. A 10'x 16' one floor 5/12 pitch shingled roof, with T1-11 siding four windows, a chimney in exterior shell form is $6,000 all done for you. The materals might be half of that with no mistakes or waste. To insulate and panel with knotty pine that would be another $3,500. That's with a vaulted cieling, and setting on 5x6 treated skids.

Owen
cabin
cabin

Rob_O
# Posted: 10 Aug 2012 15:02

My "Cabin" is a 40 year old camper I bought for $500. With a few fixes it has exceeded my requirements and I'm on my third Summer camping in it.

rayyy
# Posted: 23 Aug 2012 18:08

All depends on what you want.You can build 4 walls,a roof and floor,12x12 for around500-600 dollars.I have probably spent aroung 20 grand on my cabin so far.It's nearly done but there is always somthing more you want to do.It's that dreaded.never ending to-do list.I should know better than to keep adding to it but it keep's me going.Gives me somthing to look forward to.Every project is another piece of the puzzle.done.You don't really want to ever finish the puzzle cause you'd be board in no time!So,,,This weekend?,,,enie-meanie-miney moe?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.