Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Playground at cabin
OwenChristensen
# Posted: 9 Aug 2012 06:44 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

I know that's a big one for me. I've always helped the kids/ now grandkids set the place up for fun. Even before the cabin could overnight, I had made rope swings. Big ones. Tree forts, zip lines and even the trails are more for the kids and their motor toys than for me. I made a dock on a one acre pond and put a row boat in for them.
When I was young the cabin was a misery. It seemed like all work. That hasn't been the case for my kids. They love the place and ask to go all the time. If I choose to work, that might be my fun.

If you build a zip line ask me what I've learned.

Owen

Just
# Posted: 9 Aug 2012 07:18

how many in. per foot. would a safe for kids line fall

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 9 Aug 2012 10:41

Now that we are done inside the cabin we are looking for fun things to add to the outside. Zip line and a rope swing where top of the list.

Any good advise on where to buy good parts? Width/Length of cable? Amount of drop? How to stop? etc?

As for work. When we started going to the cabin we had to hand pump water, light lamps and candles. Built in fun was skipping rocks, swimming, fishing and carving sticks!

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 9 Aug 2012 15:52

Did somebody say "Zip Line"... coincidentally, my wife just mentioned this the last time were out! I'm all ears!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 9 Aug 2012 20:44 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Ok here's what I learned. 3/16'' cable is strong enough for 200 lb. old man. Both ends should be high in the big trees and about level with each other. A drop line from the pulleys should be long enough to keep all fingers from the cable and pulleys. You will need ball bearing pulleys. I tried one from garage door supplys, but one wouldn't stand the weight. Then I used two. A channel iron of about 6'' long and an inch wide would be nice, but the one I had was 1 1/2'' wide and I used a lot of filler washers. The closed side of the channel should be facing down and when you drill for the axel bolts, have the pulleys very close to the channel bottom. that way the cable wont jump off. Some kind of heavier yoke hanging under the trolley would keep it up right.
I'll take a picture of the ladder rope that I made as the drop line from the trolly. I made it that way so the kids could climb down a step or two to get on the ground.
If the cable is level on each end the sag will give a good start speed and the sag will also slow them down on the oter end.
I built a start platform against the start tree. It might be nice if you could use a valley between the trees.
I used a garden hose around the cable to protect the trees and two clamps on each end.
On the finish end, I used a 2 1/2'' wide ratchet strap to tension the cable. Actually I had to use another one to get it tighter then I could take off the first.

Owen
taking off
taking off
trolly
trolly
on the way
on the way
fun
fun

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 10 Aug 2012 09:44

I used a ratchet strap to take out most of the slack. Then I used another one to finish. That put slack in the first one and I was able to take it off. I suppose you could substitute a chain or cable after tightening, but I just left it there. Maybe someday I'll need to slightly tighten it again.
Owen
ratchet strap
ratchet strap
tree house
tree house
inside
inside
stairs
stairs

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 10 Aug 2012 10:25

Was hoping to see the pulley system.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 10 Aug 2012 10:49 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Look close at the trolley in the second pic. I found that two pulleys are needed, so I made a trolley to hold both.
I got lazy and used a chain there. I should have put two metal triangle plates comming down to a single attachment holea few inches on the botttom.

Owen
trolley
trolley

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.