Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Big chunk out of my To-Do list.
rayyy
# Posted: 28 Aug 2012 20:07

Yes I had a 4 day weekend and put all 4 day's into getting things done on my cabin.Getting it ready for the dreaded,,,pink insulation.(yuck,I hate that stuff)but it's a nessesary evil!I will appreciate it much better when I'm nice and warm and cozy this winter.Creeks dry again so Iv'e been hauling water for the horses once more.Summer has gone way to fast,do you agree?Why does time seem to go faster the older you get?Oh yes and somthing I over looked by building my cabin to close to pine trees,when them pine cones fall off,they hit that tin roof with a mighty smack!

rockymtngal
# Posted: 28 Aug 2012 22:37

Summer does go by fast! I find myself adjusting my priorities based on possible first snow fall, which for me could be any day now.

My dream would be to have horses - some day.

exsailor
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 10:29

rayyy,
Have you talked to the big box stores about insulation types and alternatives? I have heard of a brand that is itch less, I think it was corning brand, I remember the pink panther character was used in commercials, and then there is treated denim insulation. If cost is the driving issue, and you have no other choice were a long sleeve shirt and shower or hose off right after your done for the day. The itch comes from little pieces of insulation breaking off under the skin. The only way to prevent the itch is remove the insulation from your skin or keep it from touching your skin. Good luck and hopefully itchless.

Dillio187
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 11:14

I bought R15 from HD that is itchless. I forget the brand name, but it said "eco touch" on the bag. I think it was about $31 for 7 batts 96" in length.

I couldn't find the same stuff in 24" wide for the ceiling, so I ended up itching for 2 days after that

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 11:56

and make sure you wear a dust mask...once that stuff gets into your throat it super annoying

Never would have thought about the pine cones...I would imagine they are quite loud!

wakeslayer
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 15:24

dust mask and goggles for sure. Tyvek suits are only like $12 at Home Depot. Exam gloves are also a good idea.
And lastly, shower in COLD water, not hot. Makes a world of difference on what can get under your skin.

rayyy
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 16:29

Yes sir,Tyvek suit,dust mask,gloves, hair cover,duct tape everything,,,I'm only gonna do this once and hit it hard to get-er done.Iv'e been putting it off all summer but I know,freezing pipes and being cold last winter has helped me in setting my mind to do this.Besides going through 100 pounds of propane in 3 weeks.I like the idea of being warm and cozy!Hopeing to get a month out of a tank of propane.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.