Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Where to install heater
mojo43
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 13:13

I am planning on installing a propane heater and I am trying to figure of the best spot to install it. It is a tiny cabin (9x12) with a 3/4 loft. I order to make sure the whole place gets heat evenly, should I install it under the loft because heat will rise or should I install it on the open part to let heat distribute?

Thanks in advance...

MtnDon
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 13:30

If the cabin is insulated well and built tight so there are no drafts, IMO, anywhere on the lower level will do. The loft will get warm no matter what.

bugs
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 14:06

Mojo

In our little shack the heat would stratify: +30C at the ceiling, +22C at chest height and +10C at the floor. We bought a 2 speed oscillating dc vehicle fan and, although it is a bit noising, it really made a difference pushing the hot air down to the floor and getting a more even heat in the shack.

Good idea about reusing your heater if it is okay. Will save you a bit of money.

bugs

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 14:10

I have the same situation and I put in under the loft so that area was warmed first. I had it out under the open cathedral ceiling at first and all the heat rose upstairs before it could do anything to the lower area...we are also well insulated agaist cold and drafts...Dont get me wrong... the cabin did eventually heat up all over with it under the open cathedral but it took very much longer to heat the lower area. Like now it heats in under in hour where as before it would take 4 hours....

justincasei812
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 14:36

I was thinking the same thing. Install the heater under the loft so the main part is heated first. Really you are heating more evenly that way. If you installed it in the open area that leads to the loft that is all you would be heating since hot air rises, it would then need to filter back down to warm the lower area.

mojo43
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 15:41

Thanks for all of the info. The other question I have is about how I am going to mount it. Any ideas on a fire retardant way of mounting an tent trailer heater like this? I guess I will see what they did on the tent trailer when I get back up to the cottage...

Just
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 16:34

try reading bushbunky's thread he has one from a trailer in a 8x12

mojo43
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 16:36

Oh perfect, I'll take a look thanks!

rayyy
# Posted: 3 Sep 2012 16:35

I once had a pop up truck camper that had a forced air furnace in it and that little heater was great.Had to set it on the lowest setting I could cause it would roast you out of the camper.It did take 12 volt battery power to work and to run the blower moter.Still,if you could have your battery charged by solar or wind that would be great.It had a little propane ice box,sink,10 gallon water supply.comfortable over the cab full sized bed.Plenty of storage,,,miss that little camper.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.