Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Lessons my cabin has taught me
<< . 1 . 2 .
Dillio187
# Posted: 7 Nov 2013 16:06

and if a bolt, screw, or nail isn't going in correctly, stop and figure out why. Don't just keep bashing on it!

Mr Troll
# Posted: 7 Nov 2013 20:46 - Edited by: Mr Troll

Building our cabin has taught me at home I work because I have to,up t here I work because I want to.The lesson I've had trouble with is just stopping to relax and enjoy the special time away with my wife and family.The feeling like I had to get it all done then relax afterward is a mistake I hope others reading this will avoid. There will always be more to do on the cabin, just slow down and live life.I need to follow my own advice much more often ,this is what i've learned.

naturelover66
# Posted: 7 Nov 2013 20:52

Well said Mr Troll.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 7 Nov 2013 23:04

This was brought to my attention by my partner Jason...we have learned together that I " apparently" don't finish a project before I start the next! Lol. I don't know what he means.

Mr Troll
# Posted: 8 Nov 2013 15:51

Hi Dave , Mrs troll has always been that way too, she's always pondering the next creation or project while I'm trying to finish the one we are on, I have trouble listening and concentrating on what she's saying about the new one Cuz I'm trying to figure out some finish detail on the old one .Not real good at it but I love her creativity when I'm ready for it.She has so many ideas and I love trying to make them a reality.

dsaw
# Posted: 9 Nov 2013 01:09 - Edited by: dsaw

1) Be ready for unplanned changes. As I built by concrete block shed/ 2nd story solar gathering building as prep for another cabin further in the woods; my significant other correctly informed me that due to the length of time it was taking to construct a glorified shed; there was no way I'd have time to build a full blown cabin down the road. Therefore, the "shed" became the cabin. The change in plans is working, but it could have been better if more thought had gone into the changes.

2) On the above comment about getting everything square, I think it depends on the circumstances. In my case, I built my cabin myself; but had several circumstances where I needed help. That said, help was extremely limited; and I appreciated that. The two guys who helped me out, now have hunting privileges on my land. That said, If you only have help for one day, you need to decide how important it is to have something square, vs. having a two man job done where the fallback option is doing it yourself. I let one of my helpers spend far too long leveling my deck (2nd story deck, which was the entrance to the cabin; so it's not an optional accessory), when we needed to be sheathing the cabin. We finally finished sheathing that day around 2 AM; but I'm still not sure how managed to drive home the 1.5 hr drive home that night without killing ourselves or someone else. Square is nice, but decide if it's necessary. My interior paneling is car siding; and I just got done making a 2" wide filler piece to make it fit in my one extremely out of square wall.

Ponderosa
# Posted: 18 Dec 2013 23:58

Mr Troll you have built a very beautiful cabin on your own. Something to be proud of.....lovely pictures!

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 19 Dec 2013 20:00

I have learned that the cabin taking a long time to be done isn't the end of the world.I have learned that I need vast amounts of patience. And that I can be alone for only so long, I miss my husband when he is working away. I love the stars and the woodstove, watching snow fall on spruce boughs beats a television.

And I have learned that I don't need so much stuff. This Christmas the kids will join us at the cabin for games, Christmas videos, church services, and togetherness. We aren't exchanging gifts other than stockings. No more stuff. It is all about God, family, and friends now.

Borrego
# Posted: 19 Dec 2013 21:33

Quoting: spencerin
The end of your "to do" list is like a mirage.

^^^^^^^^^

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.