Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / New To Forum from Texas
SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 10 Oct 2009 12:42

Hello Everyone,

I am a 27 yr old woman from Streetman, Tx and my dream is to build a small cabin for myself. I recently made the first step in realizing my dream when I purchased 4.46 acres of rural land. I have planned to build a 24x32 cabin with a loft. I have a lot of friends who have volunteered to help me and my brother is an electrician and builder who will do all the electric for free and help with some of the more difficult aspects of building. My family thinks I am nuts to build a small cabin, because it will not be very big, I want it to be very very rustic, and I plan on living in it whilest I am finishing it out. I have been reading this forum for months getting ideas and inspiration both of which are quite easy to come by on this website thanks to all the wonderful information that is shared on here by other cabin builders. I have little building experience. I helped my aunt build her house when I was a teenager and have since only tried my hand to deck and porch building, both of which have come out pretty nicely. I am in the process of selling my 5th wheel which is what i have been living in until now, and will use the money obtained from the sell to purchase the building materials and get started on my cabin!!! I hope that I will start construction soon and have updates and photos.

Happy building!

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 10 Oct 2009 16:18

Having the 5th wheel on site...could be helpful if your current living site is far away from the build site. I'm heading back to our cabin site on Tuesday...to finish up the "dry in"...last time I was there I was spending time in the tent...now that the wall are up and most tof the roof I will be sleeping IN the cabin as i continue...since its getting colder at night (8000 feet in Northern NM) I hope to stay warmer.

24 x 32 feet seems plenty big for someone just starting out.
Good luck

lawnjocky
# Posted: 13 Oct 2009 09:19

You could use some of the cash to buy a shipping container that you could use for storage and camping out in with a small amount of work. Then you would have secure storage and a place to sleep on sight. As the project progresses you can resell the container and move in the structure.

Jocko

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 13 Oct 2009 11:37 - Edited by: SmlTxCabin

My parents actually live less than 5 miles from the building site. So I am going to stay there until I get the structure up and weather tight, and electricity, water, and sewage set up. Then I am going to start working on the interior. I already have water and electricity put in. I just have to connect once I get the structure up. Thanks for the encouragement!!! Luckily for me I live in Texas, where the Winters are mild and it isn't even getting cold yet!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.