Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Flooring advice
nosfuerato
# Posted: 10 Oct 2009 15:07

Hi all - I have a small cabin in Eastern TN and I'm looking to put down hardwood floors of some type. There is linoleum on the floors now and I'm looking at putting down some very rustic oak, unfinished, which is less than a $1 per square foot. It's cheap, but again, unfinished. Does anyone have any rustic floors in their cabin and how has it treated you??

lawnjocky
# Posted: 13 Oct 2009 09:14

Where are you in Eastern TN? I am in Oak Ridge.

I had a house in Berkeley Calif. that had oak floors. The place was built in 1909. The floors were not meant to be rustic but they were. We used Watco on them and they were nice. Is the oak "green"? If so, you might get some shrinkage. It can be dealt with. The wood can also curve up on the edges or bow up in the centers if green. These are the problems you get with board and batten siding ant that is why the horizonal blocking is used.

If I were doing it I would use long drywall screws counter sunk and plugged to fasten the flooring down. I would also use glue or thinset too. Once the adhesive set up I would use an 8" grinder with a foam pad (available at auto painting supply outfits and west marine) to smooth the floor some. then Watco. Over time if gaps show up between the planks I would fill them with "dutchmen" A dutchman is a strip of wood with a slight bevel on the sides like a wedge. You put some glue inside the gap with the surface taped and pound the dutchman in. Let it set up and plane flush. Then sand and oil with Watco.

Jocko

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.