Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Salavged and protable sawmill material
tsvoyager
# Posted: 19 Oct 2012 12:59

Looking to see how many of you have used salvaged material and material cut on a portable saw mill. For my "storage shed" I have the hardwood flooring I salvaged from a new build, owners didn't like it so they had it tore out (Brand new).
2 weeks ago I went up to a buddies place, he just put in kitchen cabinets he got from a retirement home that that his daughter works at, (They swap out when clients pass on.) all were free for the taking and all in GREAT shape. The wife just started working at the same place so I'm hoping I can get the same deal!
I've been salvaging lumber from various places, very few nails and lenghts from 6 to 10 foot. I have quite a few 2x4 and 4x4 all in good shape and some 6x6's for the stilts. I've been checking out creigs list for plywood, but nothing in the area as yet and I may just go with new.
My neighbor just had 20, 12 foot long logs cut up for use in his place, (New deck and suports) A guy he contacted had a portable saw mill. He came to his property with the mill. He had all 2 bys in various whiths 12 foot long, cut up, cost $120.00. My property has a ton of maples on it along with quite a few pines, many in the 12" to 18" across So I'm kind of thinking I can use the pine for the wall studs and use the maple for finish work. I know the work involved will take a lot of time (but I'll be laid off most of next summer.. I'm hoping) My question is will I be able to use the sawmilled lumber for roofing rafters and floor joist? Remember it's a "stroage shed" ;) I'm hoping to build 16 x 24 with a 12/8 to 12/12 pitch for the roof. I plan on covering the roof in metal. I'm just concerned with getting the shell up. Most of the work will be me and the misses with a few days of extra help thrown in.

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Oct 2012 22:11 - Edited by: trollbridge

Quoting: tsvoyager
Remember it's a "storage shed" ;)

Yep...that cracked me up!
Keep looking for all the materials you will be needing. Craigs List is a really good source. Windows cost a fortune brand new so keep your eyes open for them especially! Our hardwood flooring came from 2 unhappy customers-brand new floors both for the loft and the main floor-was absolutely nothing wrong with them. We designed our cabin and then as materials became available we kinda incorporated them in. We wanted our place to look old and somewhat cobbled so it worked nicely to do it that way.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 19 Oct 2012 23:47

We did the same. I called the window companies in a 50 mile radius every week and asked if they had any mis measures.

I also found a portable sawmill company. They made a few beams for us out of limbs and trees we had to remove. I also stopped by his sawmill and was surprised at all the options for a fraction of the cost. Plus the stuff was unique in a way. And even the normal boards had a story and could be linked to a local tree.

Craigslist is great when times are hard or things are out of season. Otherwise it can be a time hog.

My preference, especially when times are tough, is local building and lumber supply companies. What I found was a lot have been stuck with special order items from builders that went out of business. I have seen windows, doors and hardware absolutely rock bottom prices. We got interior doors, door levers and decking material this way. 20 foot trex boards for $5 each. So check the mis-measure and overstock areas of these places...then make them an offer.

As for using your wood...that is a great idea and rewarding. Check on how long you'll need the pine to dry to use as studs though.

tsvoyager
# Posted: 21 Oct 2012 11:10

Thanks guys, Craigslist will be a constance source for looking. I like the idea of getting miss measured materials from the lumber yard too, I never thought of that.

TomChum
# Posted: 21 Oct 2012 11:25

Quoting: TheCabinCalls
As for using your wood...that is a great idea and rewarding.

Dragging a log out of the woods then nailing a board on later the same day is very satisfying.

fpw
# Posted: 22 Oct 2012 10:01 - Edited by: fpw

You can use saw milled lumber for just about anything. If you are building to codes you might need to check and see if the lumber has to be graded that could cost a little more.

The photos below show a timber framed 10' x 12' shed I built with lumber right off my sawmill - rough cut. The siding was board and batten as the I nailed it up shortly after cutting; the battens cover up the shrinkage.

If you work with someone to cut your lumber, be specific in regards to size. When I cut 2" x 4" on my mill, I cut at 2" not the 1 1/2" you get from the lumber yard.

If you are going to use the maple for finish work you will need to stack, sticker, cover, and dry the lumber before you can use it. Or haul to someone that has kiln. Remember that you have to cut it a little oversized to account for drying. After the drying is complete you can plane it and edge it to the desired dimensions.

If you plan to fell your trees yourself, make sure you learn a bit about tree felling before heading to the woods with your chainsaw.
DSC03490.jpg
DSC03490.jpg
Photo_E8F0EB13AED2.jpg
Photo_E8F0EB13AED2.jpg

tsvoyager
# Posted: 24 Oct 2012 02:23

I plan on curing the maple boards for a year or so before using them. Stacking, stickering and covering will be in a wood shed I plan on building.
I've been using a chain saw for decades, I'm no pro but I do pretty good. Cutting in winter will cut down on the amount of dirt that gets in the bark and cut down on wear and tear on the milling blades. I have a joiner but need to get a planner.
Love the shed you built fpw. Trying to get a friends dad to help me when I start my build, he did re-builds of old log cabins and sheds, however he's semi retired and a home body and my land is 4 hours away. When I did ask him last year, the friend said I doubt it, but dad said.. you never know.. so there still is hope

skootamataschmidty
# Posted: 2 Nov 2012 14:05

I have purchased a number of items for my cabin at a Habit for Humanity Restore. They sell windows, doors, plumbing, kitchen cabinets etc. A lot of it is used at great prices and some of it is even brand new. Saved me a lot of money. I am in Southe Western Ontario so I am not sure if you have these stores in your area but definitely worth a look.

tsvoyager
# Posted: 4 Nov 2012 20:41

Thanks, I'll check into it

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Nov 2012 20:59

I don't know if you ever get to Eau Claire but if you do there is a reuse store called BUILDING HOPE run by one of the churches there. Most of the building supplies are used but some of it is new that contractors mis-ordered or extras. They have interior/exterior doors, windows, light fixtures, kitchen cabinetry, bath fixtures, tile flooring...all sorts of stuff plus many random things. The prices are decent although a bit higher than they used to be when they first opened. Worth looking if you get this way

tsvoyager
# Posted: 5 Nov 2012 12:23

Thanks Trollbridge,
I'm not out that way (between Madison and Milw here) We have a Hobo's which is kind of the same but not church run. All contractor mis-orders, over runs and discontinued items for the home. Prices are cheaper than new for the most part but still on the high end for my savings account.
I'm really trying to get by as cheap as possible but still having a nice place to go to, possibly retireing to in a few years.
It's going to be a work in progress for years to come seeing as I'll be on lay off's for several months a year. Like I said, just interested in getting a shell up for now.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 5 Nov 2012 12:57

tsvoyager, I am the same way. I like good stuff, but can't afford it so I end up using my time instead of my money to find good stuff...cheap.

My best finds have been lumber yards going out of business or in areas where home builders have gone out of biz and left them with the inventory (tools, windows, doors, trex).

Other good finds are sawmills and quaries in rural and hard-hit areas. Lumber and stone as cheap as I have ever seen it...plus it wasn't picked through so I had almost no waste.

If you don't have the money - use your time.

tsvoyager
# Posted: 6 Nov 2012 10:03

Cabincalls
I agree, I have more time than money right now, so not much of a choice.
As for stone, I have all I want up north, I can't put a post in the ground with out hitting several stones or rocks. I have a few piles started for some projects and landscaping ideas.
Thanks for the ideas. Getting so many ideas on where to find materials, it's gonna be hard to find time..

tsvoyager
# Posted: 25 Nov 2012 11:51

Well stage 1 is in the works! The excavator I used to grade my driveway way back when I bought my place, has since become a good friend and has agreed to cut a bunch of pines out of the low land this winter. Eventually it's going to be a pond.. cost, $225.00 that includes the cutting to size (12 foot lenghts) dragging them up to the area cleared out for parking (200 yards) and stacking them. I'm guessing right now I'll have 20ish trees cut and stacked come spring. (40 to 60 logs) All the trees are straight as an arrow and 40 to 60 foot tall (usable). Next up, I need to get in touch with the saw mill guy for next spring or early summer. Neighbor had 20 logs cut for $110.00 (I thought it was more) this year.
My camper has become a home and haven for the mice and it's time to let her go by the wayside, build something sturdy and tight.
Next up. Power for the "Storage shed" Thinking of solar with a generator. I have some reading to do.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.