Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / pumping water the old fashion way
watersound
# Posted: 17 Oct 2009 22:36

my wife is wacked, for some reason she wants a old fashion leaver pump to pump water up from a pond about 150 ft away and up about a 15 ft clift for fire control if needed or to wash dishes if water test comes back o.k. Now if water test is o.k. I can buy a lever pump from t.s.c. does any one know what size pipe and where to instal the check valve? how would I prime the line or drain it for for winter? I cannot bury it the land is all rock . thanks, dave.

lawnjocky
# Posted: 19 Oct 2009 09:07

The check valve goes on the down hill end close to the screen on the intake. Depending on the pump, the pipe is probably 1 1/2 or 2". If you have freeze condition you should put a drain valve on it as far down the line as possible. I would tie an old bleach bottle to the screen so it could be raised for cleaning and I would put the check valve there and the drain just above it. That way you could raise it and drain it all out.

BTW Harbor Frieght has hand pumps for $20 or $30.

Jocko

watersound
# Posted: 19 Oct 2009 20:23

thanks lawnjockey; got me thinking the pumps I have seen at harbour frieght and tsc can pump 25 - 30 feet a check valve at the water source makes sense would I then put another 20 feet before the pump?

lawnjocky
# Posted: 20 Oct 2009 17:22

One check valve should do it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.