Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / INTRODUCTION
cawkazn
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 18:40

Hi everyone, I am interested in building a home/cabin thats off the grid as my primary residence. That being said I really dont know where to start. Actually building the place is not what im confused about, what I am confused about is all of the legal issues, coding, permits, whats legal or illegal to do etc.

How do I go about finding this type of information out?

cabingal3
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 22:32

cawkazn !welcome to the small cabin forum.its nice to meet u.u will love this group i am sure.we all have to sort of ruffle thru finding these things out.i would go to the county planning building in your local county to find out what u can do.or look online...where we live it is legal to build a 200 sq.ft building.not for living in but we do have it for a semi hunting cabin or camping cabin.its different in different areas.
good luck.keep us posted.

hattie
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 23:32

Welcome cawkazn. cabingal3 is right - go to the local planning department and have a talk with them. If you aren't sure where they are, ask a local real estate agent. Keep us posted on your progress!! Best of luck!!

cawkazn
# Posted: 19 Nov 2012 00:40

do i have to own the land? like go out and buy a few acres? is it possible to just drive out to the woods and build one? like in a national forest or in a wilderness are or regional park or what? I am handy enough to build the darn thing, i just have no idea where to legally place one, as to where to begin to look. I am thinking I must buy some land to do it though. although not having to buy the land sure would be nice.

MtnDon
# Posted: 19 Nov 2012 01:32 - Edited by: MtnDon

You can not "squat" on some public land like a National Forest and build a cabin. Every Tom, Dick and Harry, including myself who sees you doing that will report you. National Forests, BLM managed land, State lands are public lands! That does not mean for the public to build upon. It means for the public to enjoy and share and leave alone in the same condition it was found, if not better! You have no right to claim any of it for personal use. None! It's hard enough keeping legal access to much of the NF lands as it is. The last thing we all need is someone building illegally in a National or State Forest.

Of course you need to own land to build on it!!!!! Or lease it, but what's the point in building on land you don't own? If I sound like I'm PO'd about that idea, well I am. If you want a place in the woods you have to buy it. There's nothing written anywhere that states anyone is entitled to a little piece of their version of heaven. It must be earned and paid for.

Cash is best as it avoids the mortgage interest.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.