Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / chimney and wood stove
RedTailHawk
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 18:07

I just got a quote from a chimney sweep to bring my wood stove liner up to code. He said that it would cost $2868 to insert a liner in the existing flue. This is my first time having a cabin, or a wood stove. Am I being robbed?

Here are pictures of the fireplace and wood stove
fireplace
fireplace
wood stove
wood stove

TomChum
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 18:16

Hard to say. Does this include a a fireplace insert to replace the existing woodstove?

Your place looks awesome. When you have a hearth that cool, real rock and all!!! it is a shame to have that stove sitting in front. If it was me I'd use a fireplace insert that can be opened to look like an open fireplace (when necessary) but for heat you would close the doors and run it as an 'airtight'. I'd do it myself, thus can't really assess the $2868 estimate.

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 18:24

as I understand it, the chimney has 2 separate flues. One for the stone fireplace and one for the wood stove. The chimney guy said the liner in the flue was not up to code so he wasn't allowed to clean it (otherwise if there was a fire after he touched it, then he'd be liable).

GomerPile
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 19:58

Class A chimney pipe is about $40 per foot. Chimney liner is $375 for a 20 foot kit.

A class a chimney pipe is a stand alone chimney.....you just need to maintain a 2 inch gap around it. Assuming you have 20ft of chimney and this guy was installing class a chimney pipe in it you would be looking at $800 for the pipe.

I have never seen anyone install a class a pipe inside an existing chimney. Most people just install a liner. Lets assume that this guy was being real safe and installing a chimney within a chimney. I can't imagine more than $1000 in parts for a 20 ft chimney.....the guys gotta make a living so add $500 for his labor.....how's he getting to $2800????

Martian
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 20:59

Some of the challenges I see in a job like this are 1) the ninety degree fitting at the bottom; 2) needing a second set of hands on the roof; and 3) providing a new cap assembly to position the liner and seal the top.

I would suggest you ask for a breakdown of his estimated materials and labor as well as references from recent installations he's done. He is probably figuring in a couple of hours spent working up a materials list and gathering the stuff, and he may be adding a 20% "oops" factor in case it proves to be harder than he thinks. His references will tell you what you need to know; Does he know what he's doing?

johng
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 22:22

If you were capable of doing the job yourself but was unsure of your own abilities then maybe you were being robbed.

On the other hand if you want the job done properly but knew it was beyond your capabilities, then it is money well spent.

groingo
# Posted: 3 Dec 2012 01:17

Might want to take a peek at this, start at about the half way point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yho-ASEne6Q

Might give you an idea what to look for before hand.

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 4 Dec 2012 16:06

Thanks for the video.

Anyone have suggestions for cleaning the soot off the front upper area of the fireplace? (See picture in the first post above)

groingo
# Posted: 4 Dec 2012 18:48 - Edited by: groingo

Dish water, detergent and a scrub brush.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.