Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Shed or camper
cobra grover
# Posted: 12 Dec 2012 17:38

We are now getting our land ready to build. Clearing some brush, cutting some small trees and such. What I am considering now is a place to stay on the weekends instead of having to drive home (about an hour and 45 minutes one way). My first thought was buy a camper and park it there and sell it when the cabin finished. I have electric but no water yet. Another thought was to build a storage shed which I assume I will need eventually for equipment, tools, etc. Maybe something like 10 x 12. I guess the drawback to the building would be the expense to insulate and finish it to a point it could be lived in whereas a shed could be as simple as a dirt floor pole barn type structure.
Anyway, just wondered what your experiences were, what you did, what you wish you had done different???

MJW
# Posted: 12 Dec 2012 17:55 - Edited by: MJW

We have been RVing full time for the past year and just bought 10 acres to build on. We are pulling our rig to the property right after Christmas to get started.

We found a guy local to the land who had a few 300 gal plastic water tanks in metal cages for sale cheap and I just picked up a pair of Honda generators so we will be set on the power and water issue.

I would recommend a camper, personally, just for the convenience of having a fully self contained home ready to go without all the preparation. An older model, maybe not so pretty but fully functional can be found at a really reasonable price right now and will give you a comfortable place to live while the build is going on.

We are really looking forward to doing the things you are doing now!

Anonymous
# Posted: 12 Dec 2012 18:08

A camper because it is fully self contained and ready to live in. I would also build the storage shed you will need a secure place for your building material. Before you do all this be sure to check your areas rules/building codes. Some places only allow campers for a few weeks out of the year some not at all and there may be a time period between the building of the storage shed and completion of the cabin.

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 12 Dec 2012 18:40

Some advise that we received was to wait at least one year before building. This gives the opportunity to compare multiple build sites. After the first year we created a spot for a camper. On the third year we began building the Shabin, in an unexpected location. In our case the advise was spot on. It was very interesting to see the changes in the property through the year.

Anonymous
# Posted: 12 Dec 2012 21:40

yes be sure campers are allowed for extended periods ...

TomChum
# Posted: 13 Dec 2012 00:35 - Edited by: TomChum

First location I planned to build my storage building was too close to a "class5 stream". There was no stream, no evidence of a stream just a swale on the hillside that was probably created by water shortly after the ice age.

Which was a p.i.t.a. but the delay created time to look around some more and we settled on site #2 and I am so glad I didn't build at site #1. Site #1 was chosen knowing nothing about the land or where we wanted to "be" on the land. Site #2 turned out to be a MUCH better location. I would be kicking myself hard every day now if the dang shed got built there.

Highly recommend camping there and getting used to the land. Choosing a hidden location for the camper may buy you a lot more time for this important part of the process.

rayyy
# Posted: 13 Dec 2012 07:35

I too,bought a nice camper first thing.It gave me a place to fix and eat meals,take a nap,get out of the rain and cold.Get out of the mid day sun.It was well worth the investment.And yes I sold it for what I paid for it after the cabin was done.It also helped to give you some idea of what it's going to be like living there or staying there someday.As far as picking a final location for your buildings,spend a lot of time thinking through this process.I had 5 potential spots to choose from and that was aginizing.Each spot had it's good points and it's bad points.

sparky1
# Posted: 13 Dec 2012 10:42

Personally, Getting a small Travel trailer is the best thing to do.some cinder blocks to level it & make it steady,Gives you some storage area as well. after the Cabin is built. I would make sure it's secure some sort of tie down-you don't want it stolen either.
i still have my original 17 ft camper I bought & lived in for 3 years before electricity,& a well. i use it for storage.if it has a small fridge you can store food in it till next campout,without mice getting in it.
good luck-
starting_out_8485.j.jpg
starting_out_8485.j.jpg

Anonymous
# Posted: 13 Dec 2012 12:25

Not to mention, to the best of my knowledge you can purchase content insurance on your camper and keep your tools/generator/etc. in it while away from camp.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 13 Dec 2012 19:49

Camper is the way to go! I used one I bought for $400 and just gave it away to someone 2 yrs later that hauled it away! Here is a pic of that wonderful piece of crap that I'm glad I had!! As soon as I could sleep in the cabin ( once the roof was on) I did....
Cabin_Construction_0.jpg
Cabin_Construction_0.jpg

bldginsp
# Posted: 14 Dec 2012 17:47

I've been using a pop up tent trailer for 5 years now in the summers. Built an A frame to keep the snow off it. Snow kills RVs cause they can't take the weight. The pop up has served me well but I'll be glad when I don't have to set it up and take it down every summer, once I've built my cabin. Then I'll use it for camping trips. Used pop ups can be cheap, make sure the tent hasn't gotten wet and moldy.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.