Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / New to Forum
RonM
# Posted: 27 Nov 2009 08:58

Hello everyone,

I just secured access to the Lease for a remote access cabin in Newfoundland. It is in an area that the government is no longer granting permits. As long as pay my $100.00 per year, the lease will be mine (or my kids.) I was very lucky that the gentlemen who held the lease transferred it to me. It is only accessible by canoe or snowmobile. There is a rough road that will take me to within 1000 feet of the site.

Now comes the task of clearing the site, tearing down the old cabin thats there (its beyond repair),getting supplies into the site, and constructing a small shack. Seems a little overwhelming but, I figure I need to take it step by step. Could take a year or two to have it somewhat finished.

I am figuring on building a 12 X 20 structure. May add on a small porch and patio as the years unfold. The loft concept is intriguing but I kinda want to keep it small. ($$) Heat will be a small woodstove and propane heater. Lights - propane lamps and water would be a barrell under the eave. Bathroom - outhouse of course.

Just want a place to go with my family. Want to teach my kids to appreciate the convenience that we enjoy in our world. If you want to turn the heat up, you have to split some wood first. Hot water is a luxury to be used sparsely. Just don't turn on the tap and have a 30 min shower. You guys probably get my point........

Just wanted to let you know that I am glad that I have found this site. I have received a few good ideas from different posts so far. I will be here asking a lot of questions from you folks. (No sense in me re-inventing the wheel). Please feel free to offer any advice that you can give.

Cheers

RonM

Jerry
# Posted: 27 Nov 2009 13:47

Welcome Ron. Congratulations on getting the lease. I can appreciate your wanting to teach the kids something about the simple life and working for what you get. Some pictures would be nice if you can do it.

Jerry

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 28 Nov 2009 12:40

Welcome to the Small Cabin Forum, RonM.
Keep us posted on your projects' progress.

lawnjocky
# Posted: 29 Nov 2009 19:19

Welcome. You are in a beautiful area, I have flown over it and just wanted to get lost in it.

You are very lucky.

Jocko

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 9 Dec 2009 00:12

Welcome,

Reconnecting kids with nature, and a simpler life, is one of the goals I have set. I grew up with the opportunity to attend a nature camp for a good part of my school years. In today's society, with internet, cell phones and xbox...its a wonder kids know what grass feels like under their feet.

We started a new tradition for saturday night...what we call "pioneer night" no tv, no computer, no electric lights. We light candles and oil lamps, sit by the wood stove, and read, tell stories, sing songs, and reconnect in a simple setting. My two girls love it, I'm sure they will remember this the rest of their lives. My hope is that they will pass this tradition on for many generations.

They will be traveling to the cabin for the first time this new years...every night there will be like pioneer night. (provided we dont use the high tech Leds light connected to the solar panel)

kevin

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.