Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Old Norge Stove
Borrego
# Posted: 30 Jan 2013 21:51

Well, I am getting an old Norge from a buddy, it was his Grandma's. Questions:
1) Can I convert this to propane?
2) Any tips on cleaning this up and getting it usable?

Or should I just forget it? It would sure look neat in the cabin, and save us some bucks......

Any opinions welcome! Thanks...
028.jpg
028.jpg
030.jpg
030.jpg
035.jpg
035.jpg
036.jpg
036.jpg

MtnDon
# Posted: 30 Jan 2013 22:22 - Edited by: MtnDon

I take it that it is a nat gas range?

You should be able to convert; new orifices for one. Maybe a new regulator if the existing one is not adjustable. No idea about cost pr real practicality though. Try to find a local gas appliance service guy who runs his own small shop. Somebody 60 years old

beachman
# Posted: 31 Jan 2013 10:13

If it is anything like the one I got several years ago it will be great. At the time I never even thought about NG v. LP and hooked it up and it worked great. Maybe the older stoves didn't have a large conversion issue like the newer ones with the orfices as suggested above. Still not a bad idea to have someone "seasoned" look at it as MtnDon mentioned.

Just a suggestion, when I got mine all hooked up, the stove burners worked fine but I couldn't get the oven to work. I found out (and your model may be the same) that you had to get the pilot light going in the oven in order get the gas to flow to the oven burner. It is a safety feature that cuts the gas off if the pilot light goes out.

I start mine with a small torch and have to turn the oven knob slightly on (between the first two markers) and push the knob to get the gas to the pilot tube. Takes a couple of minutes but once it is lit, the oven works fine. Just a tip. I have long arms but you may need an assistant - it is quite a contortion.

Borrego
# Posted: 31 Jan 2013 21:04

Thanks guys.....

groingo
# Posted: 1 Feb 2013 10:56

All the burners, shielding, pipe and valves will cost you way more than a good propane oven/stove and it will be safer as well: http://www.campchef.com/outdoor-camp-oven-2-burner-range-and-stove.html

My brother has one and uses it all the time and the food is amazing!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.