Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Drilling the ground with hand held?
CB
# Posted: 2 Mar 2013 07:41

Spring is slowly coming , I hope everyone is feeling the same.

We're planning a project to build a meshed farm fence around the property, as such it would require drilling (about 50) holes for T-posts.

The ground would be in mix of small and medium-sized rocks, around 2 feet deep would be solid bed-rock.

The questions is can I get away with a hand held drill and a bit? Or I need to rent a gas-powered drill?

The project may take long to finish, so renting would be carefully planed.
Thanks.

Anonymous
# Posted: 2 Mar 2013 11:44

All the T posts I've installed have been done by pounding then into the ground with one of those specially made "pipe pounders" that are made for the job. Or a tractor and back how that uses the bucket to press it into place. No need to dig or drill holes.

Moving Pictures
# Posted: 2 Mar 2013 12:17

A hand-held drill won't do a darn thing. You're looking at a gas-powered something-or-other.

CB
# Posted: 2 Mar 2013 13:45

Although, don't plan to drive through bed-rock, we had hard time pounding through loose rocks... going through soil is easy though.

Quoting: Anonymous
All the T posts I've installed have been done by pounding then into the ground with one of those specially made "pipe pounders" that are made for the job. Or a tractor and back how that uses the bucket to press it into place. No need to dig or drill holes.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.