Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / How many first time do it your self small cabin builders
flatwater
# Posted: 31 Dec 2009 20:15

I have always thought that to build a house to live in would be the greatest thing to accomplish, but it intimidated the heck out of me. When we first bought our 12x16 cabin, we knew we wanted to move up to "our mountain" There were some hurtles to overcome and I really had to think outside the box. I also had to use some unconventional methods to build. Some of the things they say that you "have" to do are motivated more by money then actual need. I dove in to it with both feet and both hands. It was a good way to explain to my DW why I had these extra tools I didn't have before. " but honey their needed for the new addition"

lawnjocky
# Posted: 1 Jan 2010 17:08

I was a contractor in my misguided youth. I've always been fixing up houses and boats. When I went to law school and practiced law working with my hands was the only thing that kept me from going completely crazy. I finally gave up the law stuff but I still love working on things with my hands.

Jocko

JRanch
# Posted: 1 Jan 2010 19:48

I am in the beginning stage of my cabin in NM. It will be a 12x16 with loft. I'm at the stage of gathering some "usable" material to help keep my costs down. In the past month I have recieved for free, (4) double pane windows, an antique small pot belly wood stove, 6x6 wood beams for my rails that will support my floor joists.

I'm still in the process of convincing my wife that its time to build now.

keith

flatwater
# Posted: 2 Jan 2010 21:55

The sooner the better. I would rather have a cabin and not have to use it except for vacations, then not have one when things go tits up.

Borrego
# Posted: 2 Jan 2010 22:21

We acquired 5 acres of sand and rocks (i.e. desert) last year and have been living in a small trailer when we visit. Doing the planning and checking out where the water runs when it does rain , etc...
We will start building next fall when the 'season' starts again Sept - May) that'll give us time to plan it out correctly.
I'm a General Contractor by trade so I will do it all myself and am looking forward to it greatly!
Check out the pic of a 'blue moon' setting in the west yesterday morning!
P1010234.JPG
P1010234.JPG

flatwater
# Posted: 3 Jan 2010 23:32

I have always had a fondness for the desert. A lot of people think of it a desolate but I have found that there is more wildlife there then in the thick woods. You just have to learn to control the heat in the summer and stay away from the things that can kill you

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 4 Jan 2010 14:44

Quoting: JRanch
In the past month I have recieved for free, (4) double pane windows, an antique small pot belly wood stove, 6x6 wood beams for my rails that will support my floor joists.

Rock on Keith...I got our slider door for free along with the smaller 14 x 30" windows...a lot of the others I got were from craigslist so pretty cheep...only paid retail for 1 4x3 slider

We just got back from spending new years there, got my granite slab traded for a custom cabinet) sitting on the cabinets I got back in oct. It was clod but the passive solar had us with the windows open...

Borrego
# Posted: 4 Jan 2010 21:29

Quoting: flatwater
I have always had a fondness for the desert. A lot of people think of it a desolate but I have found that there is more wildlife there then in the thick woods. You just have to learn to control the heat in the summer and stay away from the things that can kill you

Right on - most people don't like the desert but I've always loved it. It is the ultimate in quiet and peace. And as you noted it is looks desolate and barren while actually hosting the most wild variety of plants and animals on the planet. And the southwest desert has tons of cool cowboy and indian sites. You can see the old Butterfield Stage Trail from the hill above our lot. But yeah, everything out there can bite, stick or kill ya!!
P1010145.JPG
P1010145.JPG

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 5 Jan 2010 18:01

I have a lot of remodel experience but have never built from the ground up. We have three cabins to dry in this year. One each for my mother, brother and myself. We will be completely off-grid.

High mtn. desert ~6000ft elev. 80 acres of rocks.

flatwater
# Posted: 5 Jan 2010 19:47

We have some country down here in wash. between Spokane and the pass we call the scablands that look just like the picture but no where near 6000 ft. Yes a lot of rock but I see you also have water and I can picture a big muley buck down there taking a drink

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 5 Jan 2010 19:56

This is the spring just up the creek about 100yds. The photo is from May when it runs at its highest. In the fall it is about where the photographer is standing. We will put a springbox just off to the left and probably have good water year-round.

Mmmm, good water

Yes, muleys but not during hunting season. How do they know?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Jan 2010 13:48

First time cabin builder here! Just finished it last fall. Doing interior this year. Have some woodstove install questions regarding steep metal roof and snow sliding and tearing off the pipe, but will start a new thread for that. I'll include a picture.
cabinfinal1.jpg
cabinfinal1.jpg
cabinfinal4.jpg
cabinfinal4.jpg
cabinfinal5.jpg
cabinfinal5.jpg
cabinfinal6.jpg
cabinfinal6.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.