Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Screened porch
mojo43
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 12:54

I am playing around with the idea of putting in a screened in porch to the left side of my cabin (where the door is). Unfortunately this will block out a lot of sun and it's not in an ideal spot as it will also hold the snow drop off. Do you think it's a bad idea to put it there? Maybe I should just skip the idea all together?

Thanks in advance...
6FD19B5791D3430A8.jpg
6FD19B5791D3430A8.jpg

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 13:37

- It doesn't look like you have any windows on the door side, so what sun will you be missing?
- If you tie the roof in higher up or use metal then snow won't be an issue.
- Not sure your part of the country, but in some parts most of the summer evenings are spent in the screened porch.

- It would be a great place to have: dining, cards, sleeping, views, etc.
- If you have the money and time I'd do it!

mojo43
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 13:44

Sorry, I meant to say that I am putting in a window on the side next to the door this year as well.

So you are saying to put the roof for the porch higher up on the roof of the cabin? I was planning to do something like this (first upload). Do you mean that it is better like this (second upload)?
sample1.jpg
sample1.jpg
Sample_2.jpg
Sample_2.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 14:38 - Edited by: trollbridge

Hi mojo,
Not sure if what I'm about to suggest will make as much sense to you as it does in my head without a drawing, but here goes. What about a separate screened porch on the door side of your cabin, but not attached. I am assuming that this picture above is what faces the lake and I am also making the assumption that you park your car on the backside of your cabin. If you had a detached screened in porch your walkway from the car and lake would be between the two structures-make any sense? You could make that as wide as you choose-you could also connect with a section of roof from cabin door to porch door if you wanted a covered walkway. The rest of your decking would be uncovered so that you would still get plenty of light coming in your proposed new window. The roof of your porch could run the same direction as your cabin or the opposite direction-both would look good.

It sounds like you do not use the cabin during the snowy months. If you do then you would want to consider the snow pile that comes off your roof and make your decking wide enough to accommodate that accumulation. Also, what direction does the front of your cabin face? Keep the sun direction in mind-you may need deep eaves or awnings of some type to block the sun. I think it would be a great addition to your place, one that you will greatly enjoy! Where is your cabin? If you have pesty flies and skeeters like we do in Wisconsin, then you can't go wrong! Oh, and the bigger the better...we love ours! Great value for the money, especially if you make your own screens-it's easy.

mojo43
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 14:53

Hi trollbridge, that is a really interesting idea. I might just go this route. The only reason that I prefer attaching is that I can open the door in the summer and not have any mosquitos (they are sometimes pretty bad) come pooring into the cabin. Also we have a young one and she is more into opening doors and not so much into closing doors if you catch my drift

The cabin is facing the water and we face East.

If I were to attach I wonder if sample one would handle the snow load without a tin roof...

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 15:10

Ahhh, little ones.....yes, they aren't good with closing doors, are they? Lol.

How much snow do you get?
I'm thinking drawing one would work, but could you do a little steeper pitch on the porch roof? Just to keep snow melting and sliding off a bit more?

If you did go separate, you could put a screen door on your cabin door, or if you connected the two with a roof, screen in the area between doors as well.

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 15:12

Oh, and I think you would be better off having a tin roof on the porch.

mojo43
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 15:15

True I could screen the walkway in as well...

We get a lot of snow. I was thinking of dropping the porch a foot or two with steps down so I could raise the pitch of the roof. I also was thinking of having a roof that I could take off for the winter so that the snow would pile up on the decking. This may be a better option?

Plus I am not building this part legally and I may have to remove it if someone complains. I planned on making it into another floating dock if things go wrong...

mojo43
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 15:16

Haha, yes tin I guess would be better. My wife will say "why didn't we use tin on the other roof so they match!"

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 15:38

Ohhh...lol, I thought you had tin on your cabin roof! Sorry.

A removable roof is an interesting thought. Do you get high winds off the lake though? That might be a downfall. Also keeping those mosquitoes out may prove more difficult

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 15:40

A floating screened porch off your dock...now there's an idea!!!!

mojo43
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 17:21

Yes, that is the backup plan! Can you imagine? Perfectly legal though

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 18:49

Trolls idea is the easiest, as you can just float it on top the ground. One thing, a attached one has to be a walk thru, where a free standing will only have one door. Looks like the cabin is on poured posts, you'd have to have the same on the addition when attached. I have built many added on screen houses with corrugated fiberglass roof. It's a nice feel of filtered light. As far as snow load, there's no reason you can't build for whatever the load.

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 19:57

What hoops would you have to jump thru to do your porch legally?

Maybe 2 screened porches???? One on the water, and one at the cabin!!!

mojo43
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 20:41

Unfortunately I would have to build a residence (800 square feet) yadda, yadda yadda.

Ross
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 21:16

When you get old and grey, and your knees start to go, you will wish that you had built the floor of the porch level with the floor of your cabin. Steps up and down can be a bummer.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 16 Apr 2013 06:59

Ross you're so right, but it's sure easier to get proper roof slope , if you drop down a step or two.

trollbridge
# Posted: 16 Apr 2013 11:18

That's how we ended up with a large cabin...following all the stinking rules to get a permit bah!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.