Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Dangers of Power Tools...
Bevis
# Posted: 2 Jun 2013 19:22

*** For Naturelover...***

Did I ever say that I hate ladders and nail guns...even brad and finish nailers!!! Well this evening I was rebuilding a header for a pocket door. while shooting some brad nails to hold a piece of square stock. I saw that the nails were curling up, and coming out the sides. Stood on the ladder to get a better angle while nailing. felt something hit me in the upper center chest, near the bottom of my neck... Didn't think anything of it, till my wife came in to see what I wanted with our fish and grits dinner...She told me I had something in my shirt and I was bleeding. As I reached up, I felt it and pulled...Crap it was a 1.5 inch long brad nail!!! i When i looked at the gauge on my tank, the air pressure was set at 100 psi...Dang, no wonder I was blowing nails out the side of the wood. Then...I knocked the nailer gun off the ladder right onto my hardwood floor and took a gouge out of it...now I'm PISSED!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 2 Jun 2013 19:57

Hahaha Bevis.....bet she's blushing now!!! Am I right, naturelover???

Rossman
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 09:14

I think I'm going to continue to drive nails the old fashioned way, with a simple hammer. I have read too many stories like this to trust myself around any powered nailers...

Hope you're ok!!

Bevis
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 10:46

Yep all is good.

TB...I'm sure she is.

Ran on a guy last night that placed a 2x4 across his thigh to cut it with a skill saw...He cut it alright, and into his thigh too!!!

naturelover66
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 11:06

Bevis.... Thanks for the edge of your seat story.... be careful with your tools.
Brat.

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 11:16

Lol...naturelover

Oh my...right into his thigh??? Lol,didn't see that coming I hope he's okay ?

hueyjazz
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 12:11

Several years ago I was building kitchen cabinets out of oak as I refused to paid thousand for laminate and particle board. My wife was seven months pregnant and I had just received that "I want you to work your fingers to the bone and finish this". Well fifteen minutes later while making finger joint for the drawers I loped off the tip of my finger using a shaper head to make finger joints. Honey, we need to go the hospital.
GET YOUR COUSIN TO DO IT. Well, he did.

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 12:39

Well.........you did work your finger to the bone....didn't you. lol

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 12:42

oh my gosh.Bevis-u are just like Gary o.he wil be walking about the woods with blood pouring from him and not even feel a thing.
and the guns.nail,staple whatever scare the dickens out of me too.
i just know this wil happen to us cause i see how we handle the tools.sort of like we are old hands.not me.i am so scared.well gosh.glad u are ok.

Bevis
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 22:28

Cabingal3...In 2004 while building my barn and up on a ladder18 - 20 feet up. My Nail gun fell out of the makeshift holder, when it hit the ladder depressing and disengaging the safety, while at the same time the trigger hit a screwdriver...rapid fired several 3" nails through my shorts, barely missing my leg.

Bevis
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 22:31

hueyjazz... I watched a guy one time lop off a right little finger on a table saw. When he was asked how it happened, he preceded to show them what he was doing and lopped of the right ring finger too!!! Yep, they walk amongst us!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 07:40

manny
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 10:33

x2

naturelover66
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 13:58

In surgery one day we were pinning a broken femur on a little dog... I was scrubbed in...holding the leg. The surgeon across the table from me then proceeded to drive the steel pin thru the bone ...right thru his hand.
Talk about contamination of a sterile field..
. He turned colors..and slid down the wall.
He had the drill set too high.

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 14:40 - Edited by: DaJTCHA

Put a finish nail into my thumb, did the same curling thing and flew out the side into my hand. I can tell you that it hurt like a "fill in the quotes with your favorite words here" and after the shock of the feeling of it hitting my bone wore off...I was not only in pain, but really p/ss'd off!

While at camp working on the shed mahal's rafters (24 feet in the air) all by myself, I shot a 3.5" ribbed galvanized framing nail through a board that came out the other side and split the small gap between two fingers. I contemplated how lucky I was because realistically my hand would have been nailed to a 2X6 if it had been a 1/4" left or right as I took a long break, ate lunch, recharged, slowed down and placed safety back in the #1 priority slot of importance!

Finally, I was using my wood lathe at home and drilling a hole with a stationary bit inside of the mt2 tailstock. The head stock was turning the piece at relative slow RPM and as I withdrew the jacobs chuck and drill bit from the work, it stuck and pull the drill bit and chuck out of the tailstock. Before I could slam down the safety switch and as I was ducking for cover...the drill bit and chuck fired across the shop and embedded into a wood clad wall. Yep, that could have been my head or chest. OUCH!

Borrego
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 14:48

Working construction for living means having to use nailguns, and they can be very safe if you follow common sense rules... having said that, you know lotsa people are gonna take short cut. Some younger carpenters take out the trigger spring so the gun will fire whenever you tap it against your lumber (kinda like holding down the trigger). So this young guy runs across the jobsite one day with gun in hand and trips. Nailed his errrr 'junk' to his leg. Twice.
Another guy working alone up a ladder nailed his left hand to a beam, then knocked over the ladder while writhing in pain. Then realized he was literally 'left hanging'.... for hours....
Want more? I got 'em.....

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 15:12

Yes!!!!!....you just made me burst out laughing....woke one of the sleeping babies....but it was worth it!!! Now...to get that baby back to sleep.....

Borrego
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 15:31

Sorry TB.....

And then one day I was ripping a piece on a table saw in a waist high stand. It got awfully tight (fence was probably a bit crooked) but instead of stopping I just had to push it through and as you can guess, it stuck and then flew back at me at a high rate of speed, striking me right in the,err,well you know.... knocking me to the ground. My crew thought it was quite hilarious after they realized that I was not not really squirting blood....

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 15:35

Hahaha! More, more......

cabingal3
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 17:10

Quoting: Bevis
Cabingal3...In 2004 while building my barn and up on a ladder18 - 20 feet up. My Nail gun fell out of the makeshift holder, when it hit the ladder depressing and disengaging the safety, while at the same time the trigger hit a screwdriver...rapid fired several 3" nails through my shorts, barely missing my leg.

so scared.this is so scary.i am constantly watching the mister,unwinding tubes and wires and lines,holding ladders ,getting tools out of his path and when he hands the nail gun down from the roof ...scary.ijust keep watch.
my crazy sil nail gunned his leg.came home and put hot salted wated in it.whew.be careful.i finally got brave enough to use the smaller staple gun.pretty scary but love it.i keep thinking i am gonna staple my foot.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 17:48 - Edited by: TheWildMan

I never had those kinds of trouble, i have a hammer and an augerbrace (modified to accept modern drill bits, still hand crank), hand saws, etc. only my chainsaw runs on power but thats a source of income (i live as an off grid homesteader in my cabin, i work as a forester/logger for money seasonally)

Bevis
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 22:08

Quoting: Borrego
Nailed his errrr 'junk' to his leg. Twice

YIKES...

Bevis
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 22:16

Got a call from a coworker today. Seems 2 mexicans at the pallet place were building pallets with the nail gun trigger wired down. The older one didn't move his hand fast enough and got 4 ring shank nails in his hand and into the piece of wood.
But the Funniest part (well to me it is) the young guy sarted laughing at the older guy, as he laid the gun down. The Old gun grabbed the gun and popped the young guy in the hand 4 times and double tapped him in the right chest...Trauma Alert for penetrating injury to chest. LOL

SubArcticGuy
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 23:10

An old internet tale:

I am a general contractor and heard this story from an insurance investigator:

A bricklayer working on a three-story-tall chimney had set up a pulley system so that his helper could raise the bricks up to where he needed them. As he was working, his helper complained about how difficult it would be to get the last of the bricks up to the flat roof of the building. Just then another contractor had some material delivered and it was placed on the roof by a fork lift brought to unload it. The bricklayer asked if the driver would load the rest of the bricks up there as well and the driver agreed. The bricklayer realized that he would not need his helper any more and sent him home.

When the bricklayer completed the chimney he noticed that he had quite a few bricks left over and that the fork lift was no longer at the jobsite. Now he had to figure out how to get the leftover bricks back down by himself. If he dropped them, they would surely break. So he decided to use the pulley he had set up earlier to lower them down.

First he went down to the ground and raised a large metal bucket up to the roof level using the rope and pulley. Next, he tied the rope off onto a railing and climbed back up to the roof and loaded the bricks into the bucket. Then he went back down to the ground. He knew that the bricks would be heavy, so he wrapped the rope around his hand a couple of times and then untied the end of the rope with his other hand. Well, the bricks were heavier than he imagined and with physics being as it is, he was immediately launched upwards at a high rate of speed.

As he was racing up towards the roof he encountered the bucket full of bricks coming down at an equally fast rate. He collided with the bucket and broke his nose and his shoulder. The bucket passed him by as he sped upwards. He reached the pulley just before the bucket hit the ground and broke a few of his fingers as they were pulled into the pulley. When the bucket hit the ground, its bottom fell out and all of the bricks spilled onto the ground. Now the fun reversed. As the now light bucket sped upwards, the mason took a shot to the groin when one of his legs slipped into the empty bucket.

He then tilted enough to fall out of the bucket and continued with his gravity experiment. Eventually he landed on top of the pile of bricks and broke both feet. He collapsed in pain there on the bricks, but was glad to be alive. He let go off the rope and cried out for help.

It was then that the bucket hit him in the head and fractured his skull.

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 Jun 2013 08:52

. Thanks for the great laughs this morning!!! Oh, my gosh, it almost makes me hurt just reading them!!!

creeky
# Posted: 5 Jun 2013 11:57

why are terrible accidents so funny.

both my dad and my step dad cut off the ends of a finger one winter. within days of each other. cosmic coincidence?

dad with a piece of junk jointer (or why guys like to buy their power tools new) and my stepdad quickly cutting a 2x4. years later dad gave me the jointer and we found the end of his finger mummified in the jointer. had a nice ceremony for it. lol.

it seems i need one good accident a year to keep me "aware" when I'm working with power tools. to wit, I just tore a chunk off my thumb while extracting a chainsaw pinched by a tree limb. turns out the limb was under compression, but not after I got the chain out. whack!

or the time I too pinched a piece of trim I was cutting down on the table saw. The four foot piece of cherry just glanced off my chest, flew across the room and punched through a heavy cardboard box that was folded awaiting recycle day.

i was wearing a heavy jacket as it was winter in the workshop. that night my wife asked me, where'd you get that big bruise.

i was happy it was just a bruise!

SubArcticGuy
# Posted: 6 Jun 2013 01:00

I have been lucky with power tools (so far) but I did take one in the face this winter clearing ski trails. Cut a 5" pine that was bent right over with snow and for some reason had my face right over it when it let loose...Saw stars for a few minutes and lots of blood but the teeth stayed intact....Lesson learned.

I have been much more active with safety glasses and hearing protection in the last few years. It is much nicer. I was in a safety briefing at work one day (I work with/under helicopters on occasion) and I brought up the fact that I was seeing most people loading and unloading helicopters and long-lines without hearing protection....I then had to repeat that statement 4 times because the person running the briefing could not hear me...coincidence? I think not.

creeky
# Posted: 7 Jun 2013 10:37

i feel your pain subarctic. bet the girls thought you were real purty after that one.
and I've been wearing hearing protection after noticing I sleep better on my right side because my left ear doesn't hear the night noises ...

Bevis
# Posted: 7 Jun 2013 23:06

No issues today with the nail gun. Checked the tank outlet pressure before connecting up. The hole in the top of a step ladder. Run air hose upthru that and connect to the gun, and it holds it there instead if falling.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.