Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / how some memories are made
bukhntr
# Posted: 14 Jun 2013 23:56

today I hit a low. I always make a list before going down to the cabin but not today. 2 hr drive to mow and realized I for got the reciever hitch for the four wheeler to pull my pull behind brush cutter. Have a riding tractor so my son used it for the road into the property while I used the old push mower around the cabin. 2 passes and it went out on me. The old riding mower went so well our confidence soaring we took it down the draw road to the creek crossing and planned to get it through the creek with the help of the four wheeler to mow the perimeter trail of the pasture. When we engaged the transmission on the riding mower it died, shortly followed by the four wheeler while idling. I kid you not maybe 30 seconds. Now we had to push both the riding tractor and the four wheeler back up the hill. to where we could get the truck to tow back to camp. It was near 100 degrees this pm and humid to add a nice touch. Thankfully the rider started again after cooling off later but the four wheeler and push mower get to go home for some tlc. In the end we laughed hard about our afternoon and are sure to never forget it. You never know what will happen at a cabin.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 15 Jun 2013 06:23

good memories or bad will always be remembered ..... /

on the receiver hitch ...I picked up several at yard sales...on the cheap.....left a couple at the cabin...with different size balls on them...

and the heat has been bad in my neck of the woods the last couple weeks...one day was 95 deg and humid as heck!!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 15 Jun 2013 07:30

You scare us Northerners with talk of temps. like that. Very nice up here,but we still have lawnmower troubles. I'm going to the cabin for that same reason today.

adakseabee
# Posted: 15 Jun 2013 14:20

Speaking of lawnmower troubles, I've got a Craftsman 4000 yard tractor with 24 HP powering a 46 inch wide twin bladed mower slung under the tractor. While at the cabin two weeks ago, I broke one of the two mandrels that support the mower blades. Thank goodness we had a Husqvarna dealer in town with a replacement mandrel in stock (Husqvarna makes the Craftsman tractors), for sixty dollars, ouch. Installed the new mandrel and new blade and it worked fine until the tractor stalled and no amount of effort could get it going again. I had replaced the fuel filter earlier so that wasn't the problem. I removed the fuel pump and it was not clogged and I could tell the diaphragm operated properly. Pulled the solenoid at the bottom of the carburetor fuel bowl and it, too, worked properly. Then I removed the carburetor fuel bowl and strangely, there was no fuel inside. Hmmm, could it be I was out of gas? I removed the fuel line at the fuel filter coming from the gas tank and no fuel came out. Put some gas in the tank and well, what do you know? It started!!

Lesson learned: If the tractor stalls, check to make sure there is gas in the tank.

By the way, it was 27 degrees our first night (Memorial Day) at our cabin in upstate NY on the Southern Tier, good sleeping weather for us Northerners.

bukhntr
# Posted: 7 Jul 2013 22:09

Quoting: adakseabee
Lesson learned: If the tractor stalls, check to make sure there is gas in the tank.

Ok another lesson learned. If the atv won't start check the kill switch Yeah I was that guy. Spent much of the next week going through the atv, googled my problem most posts led to kill switch I could not believe I never looked at it. Must of hit it with my knee when I got off to check the tractor. OH if I had only looked there I would have been able to tow the tractor up the hill with the four wheeler and back to camp.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 8 Jul 2013 14:00

These low points tend to be the most laughable memories later on!

Once when we were backing the boat in the water the rope that I was holding on to snapped when the boat floated off the trailer. It was cold that morning so no other boats or people were out. All of the sudden it started pouring down rain and the temp dropped. I stayed on the dock to keep an eye on the boat...as it floated hundreds of yards away. My dad took the truck around the lake to find someone with a boat. About 30 minutes later they arrived by boat. It was raining and about 39 degrees. The tips of my fingers were completely white. I still have one that turns white when it gets cold outside. We laugh about it now...

rayyy
# Posted: 8 Jul 2013 16:31

LoL,,,We all have them day's,buk.If you only knew when them day's were upon us,you could just roll over and just go back to sleep!(he-he),,,Me I got the tractor stuck Saturday,,,stupid idea to just go a little farther!,,,NOTTTTT!

spencerin
# Posted: 21 Jul 2013 22:49 - Edited by: spencerin

1. I have a dirt driveway at at least a 30* degree grade that you have to drive up to leave my cabin. Several months ago it rained, the driveway got muddy, and even with brand new tires and 4WD, it was like I was driving on ice - when I stepped on the gas, my SUV just slid sideways off the driveway into the brush. There wasn't much of a slant to the driveway, but being as slippery as it was, that's the only way my SUV would go. I had to get winched out.

2. I bought a small boat for my cabin off of Craigslist. I rowed the boat to my dock and tied the boat (with the rope that came with the boat) to the dock and walked down the road to get my car. When I got back, my boat was in the middle of a small cove, minding its own business - the rope just broke and the boat floated out into the cove. Thankfully, I was able to recover it soon thereafter.

3. Not really a camp story, but funny nonetheless. When my brother and I were kids, our Dad would take us fishing in Lake Erie. His routine was to drive the boat to the dock, put it in neutral, detach the gas line from the tank, and then throttle up until all the fuel was burned out of the fuel line. Well, this particular day he forgot to put the boat in neutral. My brother and I are holding the ropes and he throttles it up and the boat shoots forwards, yanks the lines from our hands, and rear ends the boat tied up in front of us. Should have seen the look on all of our faces. Thankfully the other guy's boat had only a relatively small dent and scratch.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.