Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / New forum software
RedTailHawk
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 14:02

I really enjoy this site...from the hard work put in by the site owner, to all the input from fellow (current and prospective) cabin owners. I am also a member on several other forums for my other interests. From those forums I've noticed that though this site is elegantly simple in nature (perhaps to mimic life at a cabin), the features of the site could be better. And...being a person that doesn't just complain, but provides possible solutions, here's what I have in mind...

The leading forum software is vBulletin. It's not free. The basic version is $249. The version that would support mobile apps (iOS and Android) is $399. With a few contributions from forum members and possibly supporting vendors, we could raise the money to get a new and improved site. I'd be willing to assist in setting up the new system. P.S. We can also raise money from vendors that would be interested in sponsoring the site (think vendors that sell tankless water heaters, solar panels, small farming equipment, remote surveillance cameras, water softeners, etc)

Chime in if you think this is worth pursuing, otherwise I'll let it go and just keep enjoying my cabin...

PA_Bound
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 18:55

Hawk... Similar discussions have been posted in the past, but since CabinBuilder owns and maintains this site I must defer to him on decisions about how the site is operated. Although I am in the 28th year of my career in IT and have opinions, as a "guest in his home" I'll defer to his decisions on what the foundation should be, where the doors and windows are and what color it's painted.

If he decides it's time for a remodel, I'll support the effort in whatever ways I can.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 21:48

I like this forum just the way it is.

I am on a few forums and this is the only one that I can post photos directly from my iPhone. Why change a good thing?

Many thanks to CabinBuilder for everything you do for us!!!

jrbarnard
# Posted: 12 Jul 2013 06:56

If it ain't broke, don't fix it ;)

Russ

GomerPile
# Posted: 12 Jul 2013 07:01

The ability to private message members would be really useful IMO.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 12 Jul 2013 07:16

yea, I agree..but sometimes keeping it simple is the best method.

Anyway, not really up to us and having run many a forum I tend to go back to my earlier statement, best not to fix it if it ain't broken.

Again... just my opinion and that plus a nickle won't get ya jack ;)

Russ

shooter mcgavin
# Posted: 12 Jul 2013 07:56

I like it the way it is but a p.m. Feature would be nice.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 12 Jul 2013 14:01

I like it the way it is as well. Simple and useful.

ErinsMom
# Posted: 12 Jul 2013 21:12

I have been a member for awhile; here to learn and hopefully build some day. Having said there, we are all just visitors in someone else house. I will defer to cabin admin.

ICC
# Posted: 12 Jul 2013 23:23

PM's are sorta nice as long as that feature can be deselected by a member who prefers not to have PM's aimed at them. PM's or email to the administrator would be nice though.

IMO, vBulletin is way overpriced when there is free open source software like SMF available.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 14 Jul 2013 18:40

Thanks for your ideas and a kind offer, RedTailHawk.

Yes, we had similar suggestions before.
Keeping things clean and simple is one of the site's goals.

PM has its pros and cons. The disadvantage is that sometimes people tend to take the topic's conversation private leaving rest of the community out of the loop. If someone wants to be available for private contacts, they can make their email visible in their profile.

In terms of partnering with sponsors - to have a decent chance of success, it may require a full-time commitment, plus one have to be a good salesperson, which I am not.

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

Don_Brown93
# Posted: 26 Jul 2013 11:51

K.I.S.S. He is doing a great job here. Very simple and easy.....(wish my wife was that way).

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.