Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / new guy (prebuilt log 10x16 with aloft?)
trapperdave
# Posted: 19 Jul 2013 19:52

Hi..I've been checking ths site out for about a year.Great site and lots of info.I have 3 acres on a hill overlooking an 80 acre marsh in northern Wi. Its beautiful.I've built a 28x32 garage. I have a well and septic.Unfortunately no power, I use Honda generators. The closest power is 2 miles away. Sold the camper so now its time for a small cabin.I've been looking at a prebuilt log 10x16 with aloft. It seems to be quality built. Its 9000 delivered and set.Looking for thoughts and comments. I'll be using it mainly for trapping and hunting. Me and the dog, wife occasionally. Thanks in advance Dave

bldginsp
# Posted: 19 Jul 2013 20:35 - Edited by: bldginsp

I'm biased against log construction, so be forewarned. The good side of log construction is that it looks nice, and the per-made kit will assemble quickly. Down side of log construction is that log walls are more prone to rot if not carefully maintained, log walls provide very low insulation, and its always a challenge to figure out where to route plumbing, electrical, and other functional systems. Many people like their log homes, but from a practical standpoint they are problematic. But aesthetics usually trump functionality, human nature being what it is. Perhaps the cabin will be more appealing to your wife to visit if it has the pleasant charm of a log cabin.

Welcome to the forum

hattie
# Posted: 19 Jul 2013 20:48

Welcome to the forum trapperdave. There are lots of smart people here who will probably have really good suggestions for you.

spencerin
# Posted: 19 Jul 2013 23:33

Welcome. You are in good company!

Ever thought about converting part of the garage to living quarters?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 20 Jul 2013 06:58

Welcome Dave, Have fun in your build and show us pictures. Logs are the coolest to look at for sure. The costs and other drawbacks have kept me from ever getting one. I'd sure like to see what you get. Keep us posted.

trapperdave
# Posted: 20 Jul 2013 08:17

Thanks for the replies..I will post pics.I have thought about converting part of the garage to living quarters.I have always wanted a small cabin.My problem is i'm not much of a carpenter.Dave

cabingal3
# Posted: 20 Jul 2013 08:58

Welcome to the forum trapperdave.cant wait to see pics.thanks for sharing.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 20 Jul 2013 09:02

Dave, I'll walk you though it, if you want something like I'm familiar with. I build for other people every day. I build on skids with 2x4 walls and T1-11 siding and trussed roofs or steep pitch rafters. I have many in Northern WI. If you want pictures I'll post. I'm not looking for work, just to help you build yourself.

Owen

trapperdave
# Posted: 20 Jul 2013 15:39

OwenChristensen
Hi Owen..I wish you were looking for work,i could use you.Seems like nobody up here wants to do small jobs.I had my garage framed and finished it myself,it is t111 siding 4-12 pitch with 10 ft walls.Thanks Dave

trapperdave
# Posted: 20 Jul 2013 19:04

Here are some photos
front of garage
front of garage
over look
over look
side of garage
side of garage

neb
# Posted: 20 Jul 2013 19:59

Welcome!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.