Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Build small cabin with Solar power generator
dextercath96
# Posted: 19 Jan 2010 23:09

Ideal for camping or emergency power outages, the
Sun Power Port is a portable generator that when used
to its full potential will pay for itself in less than two years.
In one day of full sunshine, the solar panel easily charges
the 12 volt (standard automobile) battery. An inverter
changes the DC current to AC. From there the electrical energy
is easily accessible to most standard 110 volt small
appliances used in North America. What are the advantages of a solar generator? If you don't know, check out sunpowerport.com. The featured generator will run most small electrical appliances. It is great for camping or emergency backup. No noise. No fumes. For more details see http://www.sunpowerport.com

steveqvs
# Posted: 20 Jan 2010 16:34

cool idea

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 21 Jan 2010 12:20 - Edited by: Moontreeranch

First of all looking at the site it says the battery is a SLA 12ah...this is not a standard car battery...those batteries are way smaller...believe me.

I built a very similar unit to run my laptop at the cabin and on road trips ...I use a 10 watt solar panel that can fit in the case when not needed. I recently converted from a 2.2ah to a 10 ah..just a little smaller than this units. You can read about it at my blog

http://kmswoodworks.wordpress.com/2009/12/29/solar-laptop-station-up-and-running/

Some of the modifications I made for my laptop "prototype", the banana plug port allow me to monitor voltage from the Solar panel, charging voltage from the controller, and the battery voltage. This is done my changing the meter location and switching. As an Added bonus I can plug in an additional solar panel or Battery for added power in production or storage. The space to the right in the case is normally filled with sectional foam and actually houses my laptop...an all in one configuration

I'm also building up a couple with Inverters, and twin 6 v 12ah for a total storage capacity of 24 ah...twice what this unit has. My first "for sale" unit should be ready in a few days...I just got my panels and charge controllers in the mail.

My bigger (compared to my laptop station) units I hoping to sell for about $350...
laptop_2.jpg
laptop_2.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.