Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / What to do with stumps
Don_Brown93
# Posted: 25 Jul 2013 17:07

Hey folk's, great site. Vast amount of information on this web site.
So I just purchase 2 acres of land up here in AK. It is only accessed by boat. I am getting ready to go in and clear some of the tree in prep for next years build of a cabin. Question I have is once I cut the trees down, what do I do about the stumps?

I don't want to build over them and saplings start sprouting up through the floor. Is there some sort of enzyme, that I can put on them to aid in the decomposition of them. Some one said that if you score them with the chainsaw in a checker board partern that it would help also.
Thanks
Don

Just
# Posted: 25 Jul 2013 17:49

checker board them then dump on a lb. of salt , works for me .

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 25 Jul 2013 20:17

Drill holes into the stumps and poor Epsom salt in the holes. Water well.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 25 Jul 2013 20:50

Quoting: Don_Brown93
I don't want to build over them and saplings start sprouting up through the floor. Is there some sort of enzyme, that I can put on them to aid in the decomposition of them

I assume they are a maple tree?

Here is how you kill a tree to where it wont grow from shoots.

Cut the tree down, but leave the stump up a little high. The tree will live off its reserves, ie the root system to survive, grow shoots and photosynthesize then heal itself and store more reserves.

After you cut the tree down, when it starts to shoot, cut another inch of the stump top. This will force it to heal again on its reserves which are now becoming depleted. You may have to do it again (cut another section off) , but that is usually enough. Unless you wait too long and the shoots produce leaves .

Salt it great, you can just set a salt lick from the feed store next to it. It wont grow anything.

Don_Brown93
# Posted: 26 Jul 2013 11:48

Thanks for all the information guy's.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.