Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / new to site, question
idahocabinrat
# Posted: 22 Jan 2010 18:25

I have been visiting this site often, wow, what a great site! We are building a 24x24 cabin in North Idaho and I have enjoyed reading everyones ideas and seeing your progress. i will try to post pics of our project soon, we have the outside done and interior walls covered w/ tongue and groove pine, need to install the woodstove and finish the floor and ceiling this year. We are on solar power, no water, and remote (just the way I like it.) My question is does anyone have any experience with propane refigerators? I was considering one for longer stays. Also any info or opinions on composting toilets would be appreciated.

dk1393
# Posted: 22 Jan 2010 19:50

I have a small dorm size propane frig that came out of an RV. It uses 110v or propane. It was pretty cheap and uses about 7 lb of propane a week if left on all the time. It does not freeze things as quick as the fridge at home. It still freezes ice and works realy nice. You just have to make sure you vent them.

flatwater
# Posted: 22 Jan 2010 23:48

We bought one in northern Idaho. Actually there two places that refurbish and sell refers that come out of RV's There a little pricey but are worth it

bugs
# Posted: 23 Jan 2010 08:27

Hi Idaho

We have been pondering the same question.

The "ice in the coleman cooler" thing is always an issue and we are hauling around more freezer pacs than food. We have been looking at possibly going with a portable 2 or 3 way system such as the Dometic DRC 4000 or maybe an Engel MT27 or something similar.

We were originally thinking of a propane fridge from an rv but then there would be installation issues and space (at least for our tiny shed) and by the time it got down to temperature half our stay could be gone.

We are thinking we can plug in the portable cooler at home and get it cool, then plug it into the truck for the drive to our place and then plug it into the propane once we are at site.

But we will have to see theory/hypothesis and real life are often quite different.

As for toilets. It seems you can go as simple (as we have done) to as complex as you want involving stirrers, heaters, heating elements to turn solid into ash etc. Also it depends on your experience and how much handling time you want. If you were raised with the indoor chemical toilet and galvanized five gallon pail (ours was painted a hideous blue colour for some reason) that had to be dumped into the outhouse every four days or so then a simple system is not really a problem. But if you want to avoid everything between the dinner table and the finished garden ready compost then you will have to try some more fancy methods.

idahocabinrat
# Posted: 24 Jan 2010 00:44

Thanks for all of the responses. I was originally considering an RV fridge but wasnt sure how efficient they were. I too am tired of packing around ice in coolers that doesnt last.
I am considering the Natures Head composting toilet, it is fairly new on the market but looks good on paper. We dont have a dealer in the area and i always hate buying things like that site unseen so was hoping others might have some info.
Happy cabining!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.