Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Septic/Hot water tank questions
JessMaHoney
# Posted: 13 Aug 2013 11:39

Hi there, I have a few questions that I am hoping you lovely folks could help me out with!

I am relocating to my family "cabin" at a lake in Northern Saskatchewan, Canada. It was built by my grandfather and is intended to be a three season home but I need to convert it to a suitable winter home for myself.It is insulated, has a natural gas furnace and a wood fire stove. The winters in this area are harsh and I am not exaggerating - we get at least one week of a solid -40 and usually a few blizzards that drop a couple feet of snow at a time.

We have a private well that is drinkable water that we use all three seasons. The water line runs about 12 inches below ground to the cabin and the pump house is located about 50 feet from the cabin itself. I have already ruled out digging it deeper to go below the frost line, which in this area is more than 8 feet down.

That aside, I want to use the septic tank and create a water system within the cabin without using the existing plumbing as it isn't insulated.

My idea was to take the hot water tank and fit it with a three way fitting (off - well - reservoir tank) to connect to a rain barrel/tank with an Shurflo RV water pump. Then use just a regular garden hose to run the ten feet from tank to bathtub to use for bathing. Basically, I want to isolate my hot water tank in the winter so I can go ahead and winterize my standard water system as we have done for 30 years and live with water delivery and this system.

Does that sound correct to you fine folks?

The septic question is similar but an easier answer.. our septic tank is literally inches below the ground and is 1000 gallons. I am concerned about it freezing and not being able to pump in mid winter. Now I have two options in this.

Since it is only me and my dishes water/toilet waste (bathing grey water will be used to flush the toilet as my p trap for the bathtub is below the cabin and I can't get at it to heat tape it) should I just get the thing emptied in December and not worry too much because I will create so little waste that it can wait until April to pump again?

Or, do I want to add a lot to it everyday to make sure the temperature in the tank stays above freezing level so I can pump it more often?

Is there some sort of anitfreeze I should add to the septic tank after my December pump out that will ensure it won't freeze up over winter?

Thank you so much for any and all advice you can provide!

Regards,
Jess

Redneck7
# Posted: 14 Aug 2013 23:24

The water system sounds like it could work, I've been thinking about using a bath tub for laundry. So god start there, for the tank I'm not even sure really. I think you can get it pumped before it starts to get cold and it should hold up till spring. I wonder if the bacteria in the tank will stop it from freezing, I think I read up on that before. Maybe every fall through in a frozen turkey to help jump start it, not sure... Hopefully other people have better experiences.

Good luck,

Kyle.

JessMaHoney
# Posted: 15 Aug 2013 14:52

Thanks Kyle!

I have also read about not putting any treated water or chemicals down it so the heat naturally occurring from the waste breaking down will keep it from freezing. That's all well and good until my well water reserve runs out and I have to start hauling city water in - then I think I'll have to worry about the temperature.

Redneck7
# Posted: 15 Aug 2013 15:00

Exactly but If you have a small thankyou can put in the back of your truck. Doesn't have to be too big the head pressure will flow nice into your indoor tank. That's all I'm doing, then in my utility room just keep an electic heater that goes in the wall to keep it heated when your fire goes out. Well insulated will help a lot to, keep that room at +5 easily when it's -40.

JessMaHoney
# Posted: 15 Aug 2013 21:09

Oh yes, I'm not too worried about keeping the water inside the cabin warm, as the furnace is set to turn on when I don't have a fire going for long enough. Plus I will be there nearly the entire winter so no fear there.

It's the temp of the septic tank in -45 that is worrying me :/

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.