Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Why did "Brokeneck" build a bridge ?
brokeneck
# Posted: 9 Sep 2013 16:08

TO GET TO THE OTHER SIDE ---

Where we cleared out some thick brush and leveled it to make a new meadow --

Horse-Shoes anyone?
b2.jpg
b2.jpg
b1.jpg
b1.jpg
b3.jpg
b3.jpg

Kudzu
# Posted: 9 Sep 2013 16:27

Having built a bridge or two myself, I say that is a great bridge. We have built a few 4-wheeler bridges and It is not easy or cheap if you do it right. Our largest looks a tad smaller than yours.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 9 Sep 2013 18:49

It looks like you have some expensive I-beams under it. You can sell the culvert now. Nice job.

O

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 10 Sep 2013 09:28

Looks great! Curious, how did you secure it to the banks?

We had a neighbor put in a bridge of 12x10 oak timbers and we had 12" of rain in a short period and it washed away. Each old growth beam was over 1,000 pounds and it washed away like nothing. They secured with just a few simple screws to a concrete pad, but the water bent and pulled the screws out.

The power of water is incredible.

brokeneck
# Posted: 16 Sep 2013 13:53

The last 100 year storm -- about 10 years ago ... took out the culvert and the beaver dam tha twa on top of it gut not the concrete on top -- so it'll have to remain there : )

The I beams are attached to the abutments with large diameter rods --but as call of the cabin noted "The power of water is incredible".

Of course as soon as it was finished we had our monumental rains and flooding here in Colorado.

Our creek was no different than any of the other waterways and I feared the worst -- but although it got pretty wet the bridge held.

Right as I finished it up my son found these cleats on-line wish I had found them before I installed the 168 bolts ....
fw3.jpg
fw3.jpg
fw2.jpg
fw2.jpg
fw1.jpg
fw1.jpg
cleat_0056_101.jpg
cleat_0056_101.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 16 Sep 2013 16:34

Of course, what happens once you build a bridge??? The 100 year flood!!!! Oh boy, I am happy for you that your beautiful bridge is holding tight! No more rain for Colorado

Our bridge at our cabin has been tested a few times as well. Water is very powerful but fortunately it has managed to hold on also. Whew!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.