Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Got land....need cabin!!
mjscabin
# Posted: 11 Sep 2013 16:33

Hello everyone. I've been lurking here on and off for quite a while and now I'm ready to participate! I bought my land in February and am finally getting ready to start building my cabin. I am not a spring chicken, and I am a woman. But I have 2 grown sons I hope to get some help out of for this dream of mine. My ex and I built a log home in the 90's and I have done lots of remodeling in my lifetime, so I'm not completely green.

My land is in south central Texas. 93 acres of rocks, cactus, oak trees and cedar.....with some soil in between. It's very scenic and secluded and I love it! It's completely off grid and will more than likely stay that way because of the HUGE price to get power there. A water well will be about 350 ft deep so that will take a little saving too. I'll be using solar, wind, hauling water and water catchment for a long while. I have drawn up a plan for a 20'x28' cabin with a full length porch on the front and back, but I may make it a little smaller. I'm not looking forward to trying to dig through that rock for my post foundation. It would be easier to go up than out in my case!

Well, thanks for visiting. I'll get some pics posted as soon as I can. I'm spending this weekend there in my camper to clear the cactus out of the cabin spot. Yay!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Sep 2013 18:13

Hello and welcome!
Congratulations on the purchase of your land
i can hear the excitement oozing from your words. i also hear determination and practicality, three very much needed traits of a small cabin builder! Yay!! Might I also say that it is wonderful to add another female to the crowd!
Best of luck following your dream. Take a break when you feel the need but don't give up your journey to your "happy place"
I look forward to seeing pictures....don't let the cactus thorns find you this weekend

Martian
# Posted: 11 Sep 2013 18:24

Being in South central Texas, you needn't worry a lot about freezing. Frost heaves are practically nonexistent where you're building. Is it possible to scrape out a trench and pour a stem wall? It may be a little tough to get piers deep enough to be stable, but I promise you, we can design a foundation that will not move!

Actually, you are in a good place to build.

Tom

naturelover66
# Posted: 11 Sep 2013 20:25

Welcome and Congrats on following your dream

MJW
# Posted: 11 Sep 2013 20:26

Congrats on the land purchase. I know you are excited!

My father in law has a ranch right on the Rio Grande several miles south of Sanderson, TX. Not much more than cactus, mesquite trees and a few wild pigs.

He has been working on his place for a few years now here and there when he can get out there (he lives over 500 miles away outside of Houston).

He went with a metal building and uses propane for everything (cooking, lighting, etc.). Several of the neighbors got together and put in a community well that they all share.

Never seen the ranch in person but I have seen untold thousands of pictures.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 12 Sep 2013 19:30

Welcome, have fun.

Owen

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.