Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Organizer for tie down straps
skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 14 Sep 2013 17:32

When I go to the cabin I always have a bunch of tie down straps with me that I use to strap things down in the truck or trailer like the canoe etc. I usually tried to put the straps neatly away by wrapping them up and putting them in a bag. No matter what they always came out in a tangled mess. So I came up with this storage box to keep them neat and tidy.
Box for tie downs
Box for tie downs
Neatly organized
Neatly organized

Rick004
# Posted: 14 Sep 2013 20:42

That's a great idea but it would take alot of space in my Jeep TJ . What I do is roll them up and put a big elastic band or little Velcro strap around them and it keeps them from getting out of hand !!

Truecabin
# Posted: 15 Sep 2013 02:45 - Edited by: Truecabin

i know the problem i use a shoe organizer that hangs on the back of a closet door but i just roll it up and put it behind the seat in my pickup
its fabric and it has about 6 or 7 rows of 4 pockets you can put a tiedown in each pocket then roll it up and when you unroll it your tiedows are all laid out

bobrok
# Posted: 19 Sep 2013 14:15

An old fishing tackle box works well for me, and it's easy to grab and go.
Tackle box
Tackle box

bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Sep 2013 12:19 - Edited by: bldginsp

I use the tangled mess in a bag theory. When I need straps, I dump the whole thing out in a pile and start grabbing. When I'm done I just stuff it all back in. Looks bad, works well.

But that custom box looks nice. I made one similar to hold my 4 battery chargers.

Couldn't use the tangled mess theory with all my nails and screws, though, so I have a half dozen milk crates with 4 one gallon plastic milk jugs in each with the tops cut off, each one with a different size nail or screw. Works until someone returns screws into the wrong jug. Then, chaos.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 22 Sep 2013 19:20

Haha I was using the tangled mess in a bag for so long that I finally got fed up enough to make the box. My wife keeps reminding me that I have to put them in the box neat or it will just be a tangled mess in a box.

bldginsp
# Posted: 23 Sep 2013 14:36

It's nice have a wife to remind you of such things, I suppose.

redbeard
# Posted: 3 Oct 2013 21:16

lol...front right side of truck bed...in a tangled ball, they disappear like socks, though i don't wash them? humm...

Truecabin
# Posted: 3 Oct 2013 22:34 - Edited by: Truecabin

at department stores they have a '24 pocket shoe organizer' made out of canvas

heres a pic

put one tiedown in each pocket
then you can roll up the whole bag and put it behind the seat in your pickup when you roll it out each tiedown is laid out in its own pocket and the hooks are not all tangled
you can roll them up tight or just stuff them in it works OK either way cuz its only one strap tangled rolling them up doesnt save any time

this 24 pocket bag holds 12 tiedowns and still rolls up pretty good i think if you put 24 tiedown in it may not behave well and too big and heavy

they work pretty good hanging on a door too
then you can just take it off the door and roll it up to go
tie-down organizer
tie-down organizer

bldginsp
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 08:55

I can barely keep the kitchen clean and you want me to be this organized?

Just kidding- more power to the well organized among us. The rest of us sit in awe in a messy pile.

spence
# Posted: 24 Oct 2013 00:01 - Edited by: spence

y'all have WAYYYY more patience than this man, that is all I can say. I wish i had 10% of that ambition, lol.

Truecabin
# Posted: 24 Oct 2013 15:26

its when you have a lot of straps and you use a lot of straps
when other people are waiting on the clock you run out of patience for un tangllng

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 24 Oct 2013 15:51

Exactly! Well said! Lol! It always seems when I wanted a strap I had five people standing around waiting for me. Trust me though, I'm not this organized with everything else! I'm only organized with what truly matters to me....and that's fun at the cabin!

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 25 Oct 2013 11:27

Way to neat. Where is the challenge. I prefer the rolled up ball method

bobrok
# Posted: 25 Oct 2013 12:17

Our challenge occured recently when my son in law lost his 4x8 sheet goods load at an uphill interstate exit traffic light. Thought it was plenty secure. No time to unball extra straps when traffic is backed up 1/2 mile in 4 directions within 1minute. Darn gravity and inertia!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.