Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Looking for advice from Adirondackers
knittifer
# Posted: 25 Sep 2013 22:32

Hello,

I am new to this forum having heard about it through Pinterest. My husband and I will be making our last payment next month on our NY land!!! We bought 8 acres and put down half and financed the other half for 5 yrs.

Our next step is to start making serious movement towards improving the totally forested parcel. I am looking specifically for information at this time on people whom I could get estimates from for clearing on the land as right now it is totally forested...we can't even pull in to park. We would need enough clearing for a driveway and building site to begin with. Our biggest obstacle, as I see it, even greater than a need to be frugal, is that we live in NE Ohio, 10 hours away from the property. We need to be able to find contractor or individual whom is highly recommended and trustworthy. I noticed several of you have properties near ours. The property is located north of AuSable Forks, and south of Rte 3 (pretty close to Fern Lake).
I am devouring, meanwhile all the talk and pictures I can find on this forum, but I would love to strike up correspondence with anyone near this property who has helpful advice or resources.

bobrok
# Posted: 26 Sep 2013 09:11

I know a guy who owns a tree service business near your area. Very trustworthy and have known him and his family for 10-15 years. For more information and contact info email me.
offgridfanatgmaildotcom

Bob

knittifer
# Posted: 26 Sep 2013 14:13

I will do that Bob, thanks. Do you know if this guy does more than just cutting...does he have equipment for stumps and grading/leveling? Also, for other people in the same region, what do you generally do about water? We live in the city and I am unfamiliar with even the basics of a well for water usage. I have done a lot of reading but don't have practical knowledge. Has anyone had luck with hand drilling? For the small amount of usage we will do in the near future, it seems like a huge expense to have one drilled for us.

bobrok
# Posted: 26 Sep 2013 14:41

I would be happy to describe my water setup at camp, but honestly there are many people on this forum who are infinitely more knowledgeable than me in regards to your questions and I'm sure you will hear from them soon, but I'll forward you my tree service friend's contact info via your email, and yes, I'm quite sure he can help you with everything in that respect.
Welcome to the forum...and welcome to the Adirondacks!!!!! You will love it here!
Bob

newlandowner
# Posted: 26 Oct 2013 18:14

Welcome to the Adirondacks. I grew up not far from where you bought your land. I don't live there now but am building a camp about a half an hour from your land. If you have not already you should check out the APA and see if there are any restrictions at your sight. Good luck with your build

scout100
# Posted: 2 Nov 2013 19:13

If you folks are loaded ( rich ) than by all means spend tons of money and build whatever your heart desires. However, if your on a tight budget and looking for something small.. here is what I would do and I did just this ( see " my camp " Jan 2011 post ) I would purchase a small landscape trailer off the Harbor Freight website and then all winter long I would fill that with camping gear. A good tent, tarps, gas coleman cooking stove, tables, chairs, everything you need for camping. Most important do your research as to find out where closeby lakes are with public access - so you can go for a swim and bathe. Also, bring empty 1 gal milk jugs for water. ADK is full of free spring water outflow pipes - research and find one closeby. Locate a couple so you can have free spring water Also, bring a chain saw. Around mid July I would take off for your land for a few weeks of camping.. Get there and clear a road and an area you want to build your camp. Take plenty of pictures. Enjoy and camp out for a few weeks.. Then, the following winter, I would get a larger landscape trailer and I would build a 10' x 14' camp right in my driveway on that trailer.. Build the whole thing sans the shingles and plywood.. Frame it and floor it.. Then, come summer trailer it up there and drop in in place.. Then go from there.. Good luck

jmh8098
# Posted: 4 Sep 2014 10:35

Did you ever get someone to clear your build site. I'm in the adks and am looking for timber to cut and mill with my small sawmill. Maybe we can help each other out.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.