Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Swing-Out Doors
DLMcBeath
# Posted: 11 Feb 2010 15:44 - Edited by: DLMcBeath

Guys I have a question, several post on this forum talk about doors the swing out. What is the benefit to having doors that swing out? Also, what do you do about the hinges?

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 11 Feb 2010 22:29

Swing-out doors are harder to kick in for a vandal. They also take up less room in a small structure. You don't have to allow for space for them to swing into the room.

I'm not sure what is done about the hinge pins to keep someone from popping them out. I think you can get commercial hinges that don't disassemble.

I'm going to use glass sliding or french doors on my cabin. I will create a sliding barn style door to cover it when we are away. This should help against vandals, varmints and the weather.

lawnjocky
# Posted: 12 Feb 2010 08:40

Swing out doors are also better in a fire. I was on a boat once that had a fire. Everyone was trying to get out. In typical Lawnjockey style I was first. I couldn't open the door because of the people pressing me against it. Fortunately if was a short door with a sliding hatch above it. I was able to slide the hatch open and exit that way.

Jocko

Snuffy
# Posted: 13 Feb 2010 14:36

As far as removing the hinge pins goes, I've used this trick in the past.
Remove one of the screws from the door side of the hinge. Replace it with one that is twice as long but only drive it in until it's snug. You want 1/4'' or so sticking out. Then cut the head off the screw and file any burr off. Remove the corresponding screw from the frame side of the hinge, directly opposite your new screw/pin. Drill the hole deep enough for the new screw/pin to drop in when you close the door. I usually just do it to the center hinge but you can do it top and bottom for more security. Even if someone removes the hinge pins the door cannot be pried open from the hinge side. (providing the door fits fairly tight to begin with). Some hardware stores or box stores sell hinges with a security pin built in already. Hope this helps.

knottypine
# Posted: 14 Feb 2010 10:08

Outswing exterior doors provide a much better weather seal than inswing doors. As the wind blows against the door, it seals tighter. Same idea as casement windows.

As stated above, they are more difficult for vandals to kick in. And firemen, and paramedics.

All outswing doors i have ever seen have non-corrosive security hinges standard.

they should not be installed at the top of any stairs. And definitely do not install an inswing door backwards.

DLMcBeath
# Posted: 15 Feb 2010 08:36

Thanks so much for the advice... I have in-swing doors now, but I think I'm going to remove them and install out-swing doors. My cabin has been broken into several times. To the point I'm going to install expanded metal over the windows. When I do this I'm afraid the doors will be kicked in next.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 15 Feb 2010 12:46

I have a friend that put up a sign that said 'Smile you're on Trailcam'. No more problems. YMMV.

MainerinExile
# Posted: 13 Jul 2010 00:36

For outswinging doors you can buy commercial, and residential style hinges that have a security screw to keep the pin from being removed from the outside, some call these "nerffed" hinges, I have been a locksmith for 30 years and use these almost daily. Any home builder supply store will have these types of security hinges. Tim

Anonymous
# Posted: 16 Jul 2010 19:20

http://www.selectalarms.com/site/1266420/product/137-00120

Borrego
# Posted: 18 Jul 2010 17:47

Quoting: MikeOnBike
I'm going to use glass sliding or french doors on my cabin. I will create a sliding barn style door to cover it when we are away.

I've been thinking about doing this when I start building this fall. Any ideas, websites or pictures that you've been looking at?
Thanks

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 25 Jul 2010 22:24

I really haven't started narrowing it down yet. One problem with sliders is the dirt/dust that gets into the tracks. I really want a slider so that I don't have to have space in the small cabin for the door to swing.

Sliding door requires less room in cabin

This year we are focusing on fencing our property and getting a couple of sheds built for storage and sleeping.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=9024.0

Gary O
# Posted: 3 Aug 2010 22:53

As ong as you don't have deep snow, outswingdoors s/be the best choice.
We get six feet. Our doors swing in.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 3 Aug 2010 23:01

We had three ft. this last winter but we don't currently plan to use the cabin during the winter but that could change. I think I'm going to go with a slider. I'll just have to take good care of the track.

Gary O
# Posted: 5 Aug 2010 20:27

Yeah a slider may be a maintenance issue, but I'd have put one in if we had the room in our tiny cabin...
cozy_cabin.jpg
cozy_cabin.jpg

wildwood
# Posted: 24 Aug 2010 13:45

I like the idea of doors opening out instead of into the room but I had so hoped for a screen door. Any ideas? I saw a storage building at home depot with french doors; let in lots of light but I do thing a barn like slider would be needed.

rob_o
# Posted: 25 Aug 2010 00:02

Quoting: wildwood
I like the idea of doors opening out instead of into the room but I had so hoped for a screen door. Any ideas?

Most RVs and travel trailers have a screen door inside the outer door.

tony
# Posted: 26 Aug 2010 23:25

Quoting: wildwood
I like the idea of doors opening out instead of into the room but I had so hoped for a screen door. Any ideas? I saw a storage building at home depot with french doors; let in lots of light but I do thing a barn like slider would be needed.

They sell screens for french doors that open out at Home Depot. They roll out from each side and join in the middle.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 24 Oct 2010 16:32

Quoting: MainerinExile
For outswinging doors you can buy commercial, and residential style hinges that have a security screw to keep the pin from being removed from the outside, some call these "nerffed" hinges, I have been a locksmith for 30 years and use these almost daily. Any home builder supply store will have these types of security hinges. Tim

I have these hinges on my cabin door. Mine opens inward, so its a non issue. But for those with outward opening doors. Open the door, and drill a hole into mount area of the hinge. Screw in a lag type bolt, then cut the head off so its just a 1/4" pin now sricking out. Gently close the door, this pin will mark the other side of the hinge at the door case, drill a hole a little bigger (5/16) so when the door is closed, there will be a pin tying the 2 hinges together like a bolt from a safe. So if the pins are removed,t he door will not come out. I'd do it to altleast the top and bottom. But HD, do it to the center hinge also.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.