Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / scarecrow for hunters
countrygirl
# Posted: 6 Oct 2013 20:25

We have 80 acres, and the 40 closest to the road is an old farm field. At the start to end of hunting season there are people driving by really slow, looking all the time. Even with lots of signs up "No Hunting" "No trespassing" and "private property". this year I thought I would try something. Hunter don't like hunting where there is already a hunter. So here is my scarecrow for hunters!

This Sunday morning 2 fox's came by the cabin.
scarecrow1
scarecrow1
scarecrow2
scarecrow2
fox1
fox1
fox2
fox2

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 6 Oct 2013 22:32

I did something like that years ago. I actually put a blaze orange jacket up high in a tree to look like a stand. It works.

Boxley
# Posted: 11 Oct 2013 11:51

That is a clever idea.

bugs
# Posted: 11 Oct 2013 17:58

This may be a great idea. Never thought of it.

We tried the usual signage with varying degrees of success. This year I had some formal signs made up with "Research Area: Authorized personnel only" I then gave my company name and website as contact info. I even staked out some research transects and grids near the road. Not sure if any of this will work. We also added two more trail cameras at favoured entrance points to our hay field and old yard site. Will see what they capture this weekend.

Now if your scarecrow gets a couple of bullet holes in him/her it would be kind of scarey.

bldginsp
# Posted: 11 Oct 2013 20:24

What are the rules about how far from a house they can shoot a gun? How about signs that say '400 ft to next house'?

hattie
# Posted: 11 Oct 2013 23:28

WOW, amazing idea!! Thanks for sharing it!!

bldginsp
# Posted: 12 Oct 2013 01:41 - Edited by: bldginsp

"My house is just through those trees and my grand kids visit frequently"

"Your bullets will hit my cabin faster than you can regret pulling the trigger"

"Would you shoot your gun if you were as close to your house as you are to mine right now?"

That'll make 'em think.

MJW
# Posted: 12 Oct 2013 10:35 - Edited by: MJW

My neighbors (who are extreme preppers from the Kansas City area that bought their 20 acres to build a bug out place for when the SHTF) were up on their property a couple of weeks ago when we were splitting all of our firewood.

He and his 2 sons were shooting their pistols at targets when one of the bullets ricocheted very close to where we were working. Actually heard the bullet whiz by.

He and I had a discussion later about their target practice in the direction of our place.

Some people don't understand that distance between mountains & hills is alot closer "as the crow flies" than it is over ground.

hattie
# Posted: 12 Oct 2013 12:58

Quoting: MJW
He and his 2 sons were shooting their pistols at targets when one of the bullets ricocheted very close to where we were working. Actually heard the bullet whiz by.

Oh, that is too close for comfort. I am glad that no one was hurt. You really wonder what people are thinking sometimes!!

bldginsp
# Posted: 12 Oct 2013 14:41

I rarely understand what people are thinking even as I observe exactly what they are doing

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.