Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / wood storage under a big fir tree
Truecabin
# Posted: 29 Oct 2013 13:44

i have a big fir tree about 3+ feet diameter

if it snows 2 ft there is only dust under this tree it seems like i could make a simple woodshed under it to keep wood dry and not worry about snow loads

has anyone heard of this?
what is happening that you dont see this done more often?

TheWildMan
# Posted: 29 Oct 2013 14:17

it could work as a simple fix, though you will have pitch and resin dripping on it often. snow melting in the branches will also drip down.

I used to park between two massive white pines so I didn't have to shovel snow out of the driveway.

bldginsp
# Posted: 29 Oct 2013 14:26

If you are in fire country and there is a fire, and the woodshed catches, you'll lose the tree. Snow load on wood sheds is usually easy cause they are small. Might be easier to get to the woodshed in winter if there is less snow on it.

Truecabin
# Posted: 29 Oct 2013 17:17

fire could always burn it up im going to enjoying my life when theres no fire

yes its a natural snowshed just make it dry so the wood can season

Martian
# Posted: 29 Oct 2013 20:17

I would! Otherwise, I'd have to shovel the snow from in front of my woodpile. I'm lazy!

Tom

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Oct 2013 22:02

Quoting: Martian
I would! Otherwise, I'd have to shovel the snow from in front of my woodpile. I'm lazy!

Tom

Tom, many people confuse lazy with efficient. The way I see it, if you can get the same results burning less calories, that is efficient. Not lazy.

Truecabin
# Posted: 29 Oct 2013 22:06

Quoting: Martian
I'm lazy!

other problem its far from the cabin
but its big and can season a lot of wood in one place

Martian
# Posted: 29 Oct 2013 22:34

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Tom, many people confuse lazy with efficient. The way I see it, if you can get the same results burning less calories, that is efficient. Not lazy.

But efficient is harder to spell!

Tom

groingo
# Posted: 30 Oct 2013 23:45 - Edited by: groingo

I have always stashed wood under Fir, Hemlock and Cedar trees, throw some plastic over it, tie it down and your set.

Don't surprised if you have some squirrels or mice moving into your pile
(usually build under it) cause it will be nice and dry.

yankeesouth
# Posted: 31 Oct 2013 12:53

i second groingo.....that's my story and set up. but on that note.....it gives my daughter something to plink with the pellet gun.

Truecabin
# Posted: 2 Nov 2013 16:49

plastic is easy but with me piles can get out of hand its better if i dont go that path

but yeah that would work and no snow load problems

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.