Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Introducing...me
Flying Wrench
# Posted: 2 Nov 2013 20:32

Checking in here from Minnesota. I've been lurking here for a few months now, and figured that it is about time to contribute.

Several years ago I bought an old mobile home. I bought it hoping to learn more about house things in general before buying a real house. Very few things broke down in my parent's house growing up, so I didn't have a chance to learn how they work and how to fix them.

In its 40 years, that mobile home had a lot of wear and tear, and a lot of substandard work done on it. After a while, I decided that I don't want to buy an existing home and have to deal with someone else's mistakes. I'd rather make them myself and then know who to blame... I also don't want to put myself six figures into debt to own a home.

In my spare time I have been researching building techniques, home systems, and home designs. I have burned through many graph paper notebooks playing with different floor designs, weighing the pros and cons of each.

I pay the bills working as an aircraft mechanic for an airline. I don't have any land to build on right now, but I'm hoping to change that by next spring. I would like to find several acres somewhere in central Minnesota.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 2 Nov 2013 20:45

Flying Wrench
Glad ya finally said something about yourself. Sounds like you have a cool job. When you find the right opportunity, jump on it. It makes me very happy to hear about someone wanting to purchase land. It is the best investment you can make. Many people in not so free countries can only dream of ownership. (Lord willing we wont loose that right). I wish you the best. Salty Craig

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 3 Nov 2013 09:12

Welcome. MN is a great spot for cabin life. Lots of land available a little issues. No earthquakes, few or weaker tornadoes, no landslides, not many fires, just mosquitoes.

neb
# Posted: 3 Nov 2013 19:26

Welcome and keep us posted on your search and dreams.

Borrego
# Posted: 3 Nov 2013 20:48

Welcome, FW - Good luck and keep us updated with pictures

SandyR
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 18:37

Welcome!

tsvoyager
# Posted: 16 Nov 2013 02:21

Welcome Flying Wrench:
Lots of good people and Ideas in here.
I was a Phantom Phixer (F-4J Phantoms, P-3 Orions and A-7 Corsairs) in the Navy. Airframes/Hydraulics Pneumatics and Intermediate maintenance.
I just finished my plans for my "Storage shed" (many tablets of graph paper later) and I have all kinds of books for planning and building. But you'll find all kinds of knowledge among the folks on here.
How big are you going?

countryred
# Posted: 16 Nov 2013 10:19

Welcome Mr wrench.
Keep an eye on sites like land watch , etc...just to familiarize yourself with prices , acreage, and type of terrain that you would like.

We took a state rod map out , drew a 60 mile circle around the areas we didnt want , like major cities. We checked out the smaller towns ,outside the circles, for certain things like wal marts and hospitals as well as the fun stuff, cool rivers and lakes.

Basic home wiring is pretty simple, plumbing is getting there for me.
Have fun with your journey!!!!

fpw
# Posted: 17 Nov 2013 14:45

Welcome. I have a 40 acres in Pine County, MN. I found it a few years back using Timber Ghost Realty.

If your patient, you can often find a very good deal on tax forfeighted land. Here is the listing from Pine County:

http://www.co.pine.mn.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={D147064F-CEA5-49B3-BA51-9FA22E7F F698}

They have the auction each fall. And the unsold parcels are always available. Look close as many of these are landlocked, so you you need to understand if there is or is not access. Minnesota has a cartway law that allows you to get access via the courts, but it is quite expensive.

Flying Wrench
# Posted: 17 Nov 2013 15:12

The plan I have so far for the short term is to build an 8'x14' "storage shed" and a 4'x4' outhouse. I would like to make a place that is both simple and comfortable to visit regularly.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.