Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Thanksgiving at the Cabin
Patgreat
# Posted: 25 Nov 2013 15:56

Its always been a dream of mine to do Thanksgiving at the cabin. I had it all lined up this year, invested a good chunk of money into the cabin for some much needed repairs and most importantly i got my mom on board with the idea. Then my wife got pregnant, my sister could not get off from work and now i am staying home and going to my parents house. I am sure it will be a good time but not the same. And to make matters worse i spent so much time telling my neighbors up there about how awesome it was going to be that they decided to go up for thanksgiving so we could all enjoy a nice post dinner bond fire!

I am sure there are a ton of people on this site that have had thanksgiving at their cabin, any holiday traditions you can share with us??

larry
# Posted: 25 Nov 2013 16:25

we were supposed to have thanksgiving at the cabin this year but some how that all fell apart. i guess there is always next year.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 25 Nov 2013 16:56

Being from Canada, our Thanksgiving is earlier (first Monday of October), so it is warmer weather. When my uncle first started building our cabin he had family up over Thanksgiving to help. Once it was complete he carried on the tradition. I have many fond memories of my grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins being there over thanksgiving. One year the propane oven went on the fritz when the turkey was half done so we finished it off in the wood stove. It was one of the best turkeys ever.
When I bought the cabin 4 years ago I wanted to carry on that tradition and have every year. This past year we had 15 people crammed around the table for dinner. It was amazing! Everybody chipped in with the meals and clean up. We had 2 pop up trailers and a tent up on the property and my mother and aunt and uncle stayed in the cabin with my wife and I. Unfortunately my kids could not be there because of work and university out of town. The time together as a family is second to none and everybody is willing to help out. The only price of admission I charge is to give me a hand gathering branches for kindling for the wood stove in the winter and stacking some firewood. I hope to continue carrying on this tradition and I pick my holidays at work to include time over Thanksgiving.

rayyy
# Posted: 25 Nov 2013 17:17

I had thanksgiving at my cabin last year and that was awesome but this year,were going to have it at my girlfriends place.I still got to peel and cook and mash the potatoes though!lol.

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Nov 2013 14:52

...never gonna happen here

SFCLYNCH
# Posted: 27 Nov 2013 19:20

That's what the plan was this year but didn't get enough finished so that we could cook, and take showers. Maybe next year.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 27 Nov 2013 21:00

Quoting: trollbridge
...never gonna happen here

OH how I feel your pain...same here.....always at the house

Purplerules
# Posted: 28 Nov 2013 00:30 - Edited by: Purplerules

That is one of our dreams too.
Thought it might happen this year but we did not buy the propane oven yet. Plus we have the two moms that are 82 & 84 and they are just not able to make the trips to the cabin we are fast realizing.

jaransont3
# Posted: 29 Nov 2013 09:36

Jill and I haven't been able to spend Thanksgiving at the cabin yet, either. If/When we do one of these years, it will be a very small turkey that we are able to cook in our little stove there.

However, we are planing on spending Christmas there this year. We are really looking forward to decorating a small tree and waking up Christmas morning at the cabin for the first time.

Of course the large family gathering on Christmas Eve at my brother's home is going to be great too.

lawnjocky
# Posted: 22 Dec 2013 11:28

I had Thanksgiving at my cabin in the middle of nowhere New Mexico. It was sort of a last minute thing for just the dog and I. I picked up a turkey breast, bottled gravey and some stove top stuffing. I cooked the turkey in a Dutch oven and everything else on top of the wood burner. It worked out well.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.