Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Propane & Copper Tubing; Fittings, attn toyota_mdt_tech
MtnDon
# Posted: 10 Dec 2013 20:11 - Edited by: MtnDon

toyota_mdt_tech , you may be particulary interested in this.... A short time ago there was a topic where the subject of single flared copper vs double flare copper fittings used for propane came up in the discussion. Some of the information I supplied was partially incorrect and partially correct.

The conclusion was that single flare connections were fine for residential use but double flared connections were required for RV applications. Well that RV information was where the partially correct / incorrect comes in.

The rule is found in one of the National Fire Protection Association codes and standards, specifically NFPA® 1192 Standard on Recreational Vehicles 2011 Edition. This can be accessed online for free, but registration is necessary. The pertinent portion is section 5.3.6. The attachment is a snip.

The rule states that either single or double flares may be used conforming to the recommendations of the tubing manufacturer.

So that is really not conclusive. But either could be used, depending..... The old "depends" gotcha.
NFPA, tubing connections, 2011 code
NFPA, tubing connections, 2011 code

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 10 Dec 2013 20:32 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Good info. I have a double flare set, and was told in my trailer, it was required, so I used double flares on my trailer and even in my cabin. I find when I'm in doubt on something, over do it.

Thanks for the info.

No shower in my trailer, I do have a portable shower enclosure and the Coleman Instant Hot water with shower adapters. I did the furnace in my trailer and the 9000 BTU AC (Honda EU2000i runs the AC) and the furnace was electronic ignition and the blower consumed 1.9 amps. I can run it for 3 nights if I never charged the batteries. I have the Intelli Charger in 60 amps. I didn't need that big, 40 would of been plenty. I also have a inverter for AC off the battery, but never use it much.

I kept it as a cargo trailer that can sleep in comfortably. The furnace makes it real nice.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.