Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Tool Talk - Favorites and Duds
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Borrego
# Posted: 4 Dec 2017 21:48

Quoting: Kamn
A few tools I'm missing for future work are table saw (will look for solid older model)

+1, Bro...I have a 1970's Makita table saw and man, it is so much better than anything they sell nowadays..including Makita as I have on of those as well! (Which is great but not as good as the older one)

It runs/works great , but is heavy! Takes two to carry it......or did I just get weaker as I got older?

Unlike Gary who just gets more buff as he ages?

Kamn
# Posted: 5 Dec 2017 10:42

there are lots of great older table saws out there that people think is "junk" BUT built better than any of todays table saws that places like Home Depot carry. Most need a clean up and maybe a new motor to be a great saw again, lots have cast table tops with better rails and guides than most today. Was using friends Dewalt $700 table saw and I'll be damned if I couldn't get nice parallel cuts.....only good for rough construction in my opinion.

neckless
# Posted: 5 Dec 2017 20:00

i have a lot of tools but the best one is my st.croix fishing rod ...lol makes u forget about all the dam workkkkk...lol

hueyjazz
# Posted: 6 Dec 2017 11:43

Kamn

I so agree with you on the table saws. Particularly the old Craftsmen ones. Cast tops, true HP on motors, fences that work and hold parallel. The same is true of their older air compressors.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 Dec 2017 12:21 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

my favorite construction tools or the ones I use the most is probably framing nailer, finish nailer, Skil worm drive saw and my portable table saw. I have loads of other tools, but these are the real workhorse ones. I have no duds. I buy anything I might need, and buy high quality only. As a mechanic my entire life, I appreciate extreme high quality tools. Besides, the cheapskate always spends the most anyway.

ClimberKev
# Posted: 7 Dec 2017 12:01 - Edited by: ClimberKev

Not sure if this fits the category perfectly but my favorite hand tool at the cabin this fall was the Logrite pickaroon or hookaroon.
pickaroon.jpg
pickaroon.jpg

Borrego
# Posted: 8 Dec 2017 09:55

This has been my favorite tool as of late....saves me from being all done, rolling up the ext cords and then realizing i need to cut one more 2x4 for a brace or something....just whip this out and voila!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-6-1-2-in-Lightwei ght-Circular-Saw-and-General-Purpose-Blade-Tool-Only-XSS02Z/205479706?cm_mmc=Shopping |THD|google|&mid=sohGhJGhG|dc_mtid_8903tb925190_pcrid_195274179091_pkw__pmt__product_ 205479706_slid_&gclid=CjwKCAiAjanRBRByEiwAKGyjZZ_kTufRekU11SzLmQsqIdp8wmE9sxkaZd9QkPA M5tZr6geAm4hRzxoCvPUQAvD_BwE

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 8 Dec 2017 10:14 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Just purchased this tool. Looking forward to using it at the cabin. There are two sizes, small and large. I bought the large size.

http://www.core77.com/posts/55548/13-Year-Old-Kiwi-Girl-Invents-Device-That-Safely-Tu rns-Firewood-Into-Kindling

Gary O
# Posted: 10 Dec 2017 10:30 - Edited by: Gary O

(this may or may not be considered a ‘tool’, but for me, it’s THEE tool in the cold season)

Buddy heaters
Suck
Their piezo and thermocouple assemblies are (putting it nicely) weak
Seems they used to rock
No more
Nosir
Don’t know if they couldn’t meet the demand so chose inferior factories, or what, but they no longer get ‘er done
The propane heater is a critical instrument in my well house
The expense of keeping the pump and pipes thawed is happily shelled out
However, Just’s wizened experienced words ‘you don’t need much heat’ (or something like that) stayed in the back of my head
So
I shopped
Found the Wave 3

now in my well shack

It takes 5 times as long to drain a 20 lb tank

Keeps the water flowing at the low setting

…and

I

LOVE IT!

(a note of observance here; words of experience far outweigh textbook/academic rote…by a looong shot)

Gary O
# Posted: 19 Dec 2017 21:48

Sometimes ‘tools’ are from the fridge

Right after the moment I got fed up with struggling to not spill old oil from that obscure plug my favorite genny

I recommend 2%

darz5150
# Posted: 20 Dec 2017 00:35

Quoting: Gary O
I got fed up with struggling to not spill old oil from that obscure plug

A turkey baster with a short piece of hose works good for oil changes on gennys and solid mounted motors like on a log splitter.

Gary O
# Posted: 20 Dec 2017 01:07

Quoting: darz5150
A turkey baster with a short piece of hose works good for oil changes on gennys and solid mounted motors like on a log splitter.

I think I heard that somewhere...maybe here

thanks, darz

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.