Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / What do you do for Fun at the cabin?
<< . 1 . 2 .
wannabe_yooper
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 18:46

At our off grid cabin in Paradise Michigan there is always fun to find! I believe my favorite is going two tracking and exploring, even after twenty years we still manage to get 'turned around' and find new 'shortcuts', two tracks, beautiful sights, and beautiful unique cabins. We generally explore by four wheeler or snowmobile, tho sometimes we take our Isuzu Amigo out for a ride. We never leave for these adventures without a come along, saw or chainsaw, gps, food/water, a concealed weapon, plenty of fuel as a short ride can always turn into a day trip, and some other emergency equipment.

We put a gun range with a backstop on our property and always have some fun with challenging each other to shooting competitions, and love to take our Labradors out for a walk which turns into a Partridge hunt during small game season. We bait for other small game, and hunt deer and if we're lucky enough to get a permit bear as well.

Being so far 'off the grid' we regularly have late night visitors knocking on our door for help, whether it be lost snowmobilers or quadders, people out of fuel, and sometimes life threatening emergencies, we are always there to help. Two years ago we were evacuated from our cabin due to the Duck Lake Fire which if I remember correctly took out 28,000 acres of the U.P., luckily it stopped 4 miles west of our camp as a county road was set up as a boundary line.

At night its always on the card to stargaze, and sometimes get to experience the beauty of the northern lights at Whitefish Pointe as well. On more tiresome nights its nice to sit around and play some cards or other games.

In the summer its nice to take the dogs to the small inland lakes for a swim, or the shallow stretches of Lake Superior along Whitefish Bay. We like to search for priceless agates among the stones along the beaches. We enjoy kayaking and canoeing as well, once doing a week long kayak trip down the Tahquamenon River. I rarely go up in June, as the bugs are bad enough to carry you out of the u.p. and back to the lower!

It seems I've seen the local tourist sites hundreds of times, but I still seem to take a trip to see them again each trip, including Tahquamenon Falls, the restored Crisp Point Lighthouse, and a snowmobile or quad ride to Pine Stump for pizza and Grand Marais for one beer at the brewing company.

All these activities of course come after the many hours of upkeep and projects that are necessary to keep our 'Swamp Resort' up and running, with either regular maintenance or sometimes urgent fixes, but I wouldnt give it up for the world-cabin life=happy life!
Welcome sign with Finnish humor...
Welcome sign with Finnish humor...

lawnjocky
# Posted: 15 Feb 2014 14:19

Wanna Be, any luck on bears? I got one deer hunting last fall. The rug should be done soon.

missouriboy
# Posted: 22 Feb 2014 19:23

Always fun to get away from the city. The stars at night are so much brighter. Like everyone else always little chores to do ( I call it fun) to either enhance your comforts, repair or upgrade. Ride the 4 wheeler around. Take long walks, watch wildlife, hunt, look for antler sheds, read books, cook over a campfire, have an adult beverage and on and on. One thing I have not seen mentioned is gardening. We have a small garden and we plant different stuff to see what will not get eaten by the deer. Have had good luck with onions, potatoes, squash, peppers and watermelons.

Camping would be a good way to see if your wife really likes the outdoor life.

I also love frog legs but it has been a long time since I have had any.

We are a lucky bunch aren't we?

Borrego
# Posted: 19 Mar 2014 22:42

Work on cabin/property (which is fun!). Play cribbage/dominos/cards etc... Go Jeepin'. Hike. Party with our neighbors down the road....Hang out. Read. (No TV or phone or any crap like that, that's why we go there.) And mainly...........RELAX!

mongo1
# Posted: 18 Apr 2014 18:28

Hike-fish-hunt-trap-overnight backpacking trips-cut wood-stack wood-split wood by hand(really enjoy it actually-ride bicycle to lake(7 miles)or town(10 miles)-Stars are awesome at Cherry Springs-claims to be the darkest place(with reference to least amount of light pollution on the east coast)porch sitting watching deer-bears-turkeys.Anything as long as it is at the cabin is AWESOME.Just far enough in that I don,t get many visitors especially in winter.Nobody seems to want to snowshoe in to visit this old GRUMP-LOL-Have a GREAT day!!!Mongo1

Mike 870
# Posted: 20 Apr 2014 08:02

I had a lot of fun last weekend exploring the local roads by bike. It's a great way to see things, you move slower, and no Windows so you see hear smell etc. Over the weekend I covered 70 miles and feel like I have a much better ideas of what is around me. It's also nice because it is easy to wave or say hi to people working outside.

I also plan to make mountain bike trails on my land so that will be a big chore and source of entertainment.

RiverCabin
# Posted: 22 Apr 2014 17:41

What I Do:

Drink beer
Cook over an open fire
Swim
Canoe
Kayak
Read
Play cards and boardgames
Fish
Hike
Shoot
Work on the cabin
Work on the grounds
RELAX

What I (and the kids) Don't Do
Watch TV
Play Videogames
Talk on the phone
Text on the phone
Think about work

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.