Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / A Frame ground snow buildup
wannabe_yooper
# Posted: 9 Feb 2014 00:44 - Edited by: wannabe_yooper

I've recently purchased an A Frame in Paradise Michigan. This area averages ~200 inches of snow per year and we've already received around 170 inches.

This is my first A Frame and I'm so excited to not have to worry about clearing the snow off like my roofs on my 'off the grid' cabins nearby.

I am curious however, how may people clear the snow buildup on the ground once it slides off? There is currently about 6 foot of snow built up from the ground up the bottom of the roofline.Im concerned that theres to much snowload at the base for the roof/block foundation or what other issues the large banks of snow could cause?

Thank you for any information/input!
aframe.jpg
aframe.jpg
aframe2.jpg
aframe2.jpg

bldginsp
# Posted: 9 Feb 2014 10:26 - Edited by: bldginsp

I have an A frame in California at 4000 feet, which is not a very good comparison to the kind of snow you are getting. But I have gotten 4 foot snows on it and I've never seen any evidence of damage.

I've heard of snow piled up against sliding glass doors gradually pushing in and breaking the glass. I've also heard of large snow falls on hillsides gradually moving downhill, like a glacier. But you are on a flat so that's not going to happen.

I think you're just fine. A frames are so strong I think you'd need 15 feet of snow against it before you'd even need to think of structural damage.

As you can see my A frame is just set on piers on grade. Even with large piles of snow on it, the piers, or connection of wood to piers, hasn't budged
VV_908_001.jpg
VV_908_001.jpg
VV_908_027.jpg
VV_908_027.jpg

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 9 Feb 2014 10:33

I don't think it's a problem. The snow shrinks away from walls and since your roof is steep, I think the load will relieve itself enough.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.