Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Anyone ever tinker with this idea? peltier module
bronco_ed
# Posted: 24 Feb 2014 20:16

I think I originally came across a posting regarding a wood stove fan on this site...

Anyway... I seen another version using a peltier module from a computer.
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Stove-Fan-for-under-50/

I started to wonder f it was possible to build something like a peltier module but larger scale. Since many cabins use a wood stove in the winter one side would use the wood stove for heat and the other side can be cooled by the cold weather on the exterior side of a wall.

I then seen this on you tube and think it may be possible?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzEK5eODr6I

Anyone ever try? Any electrical engineers that could comment?
Perhaps aluminum and copper pipe/tube can be used?

Could this concept be used to power LED bulbs for lighting?
There would sure be a large variation of temperature from each side.

Just curious on hearing thoughts...

Thanks,

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 25 Feb 2014 09:50

Heat powered stove fan

bronco_ed
# Posted: 28 Feb 2014 19:48

Hmmm...No one? Perhaps something I may experiment with.

razmichael
# Posted: 1 Mar 2014 09:49

when used to generate power it is the seebeck effect. They are not efficient (hence why the electric coolers are not really practical for off grid use). Years ago I hacked together pelltier coolers to pre cool air going into radios because of overheating in the desert. You will find a bunch of small devices on the market designed to charge a phone from a campfire or pot of boiling water. check out devil watt for a product designed for a wood stove. No idea how well it really works and you would have to really do a price comparison to see how cost effective it really is - still, neat idea.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 2 Mar 2014 12:34

The woodstove battery charger idea is definitely interesting.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 3 Mar 2014 12:58

As far as using the CPU cooler for a peltier type fan. The challange is going to be the motor. A lot of these low cost motors use a nylon bushing as the bearing. The heat from the wood stove is bound to be trouble. If you find a small motor that does use bearings or a brass bushing then you will need to lube it with high temp grease. Even then I bet the motor doesn't last too long due to heat/cool cycles.

bronco_ed
# Posted: 4 Mar 2014 16:21 - Edited by: bronco_ed

The woodstove battery charger is heading towards my original question.

Yes the seebeck effect... (the Seebeck-Peltier Effect or the Peltier-Seebeck Effect).

The thought was attempt to fabricate something larger that can use the wood stove and the outside winter temperatures for two extreme temperature differences to generate electricity that could possibly power 12v LED lighting that a lot of folks seem to use.

razmichael
# Posted: 4 Mar 2014 19:01

Hard to tell if it really would be worth the added cost and complexity of using the extra temperature differential between the cabin and the outside. Looking at the graphs for output of the Devil Watt air cooled versions, maximum output is at a 800 degree surface - I assume with the cold air being around room temperature. Drop the cold air 60 or 70 degrees would likely give a few more watts at a colder stove temperature.
I think they are new (did not see them before) but they have water cooled versions, including a 70 watt model. Take off maybe 5 watts for a pump and you could cycle water through the exterior to cool it down and then use the hotter output into a hot water tank while getting 50-65 watts??!! It is over $600 so not really sure it is worth it but would provide some power whenever the stove was running so maybe it would make sense through the winter. 70 watt water cooled

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.