Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Good deal on a generator
lawnjocky
# Posted: 14 Mar 2014 00:10

I just bought one of these and it arrived today. Can't beat the price.
It is called the Cabelas Outdoorsman Generator. If you go to the Cabelas site it is easy to find:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Outdoorsman-Generator/1726842.uts?Ntk=AllProdu ctssearchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue %26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dgenerator%26x%3D14%26y%3D7%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-A ll%2BProducts&Ntt=generator&WTzl=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Do a little web searching as there are some Cabelas coupons for free shipping and I just received on, too late for my order, for 50 bucks off.

bldginsp
# Posted: 14 Mar 2014 10:50 - Edited by: bldginsp

Made in China. Doesn't necessarily mean its bad, but I'd suggest using synthetic oil and changing it very frequently. You get what you pay for, and you pay for what you get.

You're quite right about the price, though. For a temp use unit, well cared for, it might last a long time.

My neighbor depended on small generators for years to power his well pump, his conclusion was that 'all those small generators are junk' which may be true if you are depending on them for long term use. I prefer to get better quality and care for it, in the hopes that I will never replace it. I got a Briggs and Stratton 5000 watt 3-4 years ago for $750 at the time, been flawless, so far. I don't know if Briggs still has the same quality as their reputation, and for all I know, the thing was made in China

lawnjocky
# Posted: 14 Mar 2014 19:41

I have a bigger Generac at the cabin. It was used for years on a ranch I managed for a well pump. It had been seriously abused but it keeps on going. Every now and then I have to take it into town for some tuning. I know one of these days I won't be so lucky.

I agree that generally you get what you pay for in regards to machines.

I am going to be on the road with the sheep wagon for about five weeks and then a trip to Montana this summer and I was thinking about one of those little portables and then I saw this. Half the price and three times the watts.

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 14 Mar 2014 23:10 - Edited by: Ontario lakeside

I have a Honda 1500 watt generator. It has been dropped, had things fall on it, it been pushed to its limit and it keeps on going. And its almost as old as I am!
Screen_shot_201403.png
Screen_shot_201403.png
Screen_shot_201403.png
Screen_shot_201403.png

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.