Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Greetings To All From New Member
waldenpond
# Posted: 18 Apr 2010 17:25

I found this site searching for cabins in the woods..I'm enjoying reading very much.
DH and I are southern transplant to the north, and DH has always talked about returning to his WV roots. For the last year I've been making notes, plans, drawings, etc as I read over and over again.."Your Cabin in the Woods" by Conrad Meinke.
In January DH was struck with sudden kidney failure (genetic), so plans are on hold for now, but the learning goes on.
We live on a small homestead now and have extensive history of farming and the like. Its the cold winters that are getting too much. Only have one chick in the nest still and homeschool. He is our right hand here and couldn't make it without him.
Concerns right now are how/what/when we can proceed at this point due to the medical issues. DH is an excellent candidate for a transplant so we are faithful that will happen, no matter how long it takes.
Anyone have any feedback on doing the cabin/off grid thing in spite of a disability, we would sure be grateful to have some!
Thank you all for being here, and to the One who started this site, We Love It!

Jerry
# Posted: 21 Apr 2010 18:17

Hi Waldenpond, and welcome. Sorry to hear about your families medical problems. Thinking about the off grid living, while it's certainly doable, it must be more work to set up and maintain than using commercial power. Possibly more satyisfying, but when dealing with a disability I think I'd stay with commercial power for the reliability, with possibly an off grid supplemental source. Just my thoughts - good luck to you in whatever you do.

waldenpond
# Posted: 21 Apr 2010 21:47

hi jerry!
thank you for your imput for sure. we live in an Amish area now and are pretty well set up for off grid and have lived like that for a few. why would we want to move right? miss the south. and one just has so much time here. best to live it how we want to. where we want to. right? *grin*

lawnjoky
# Posted: 5 May 2010 08:04

I have a neuro condition very similar to MS. I was told I was going to end up in a wheelchair and at one point they tried to get me to use a walker. I didn't listen to them. For the past several years I have worked with a trainer who has me running, hiking, biking, kayaking, etc. A couple of hours everyday of physical activity. I am doing better now than before I had this condition. I do have to be careful because my balance isn't what it once was. I fell off a ladder at the cabin a couple of weeks ago but only got bruised.

My advice is do it now if you can. We never know what the future will bring and the joy of living a dream is good medicine. As Grace Slick sang, "live and leave all the stories behind".

Jocko

waldenpond
# Posted: 8 May 2010 13:31

thank you for that encouragement!!!! it can be done!!!!

RickandRandy
# Posted: 13 May 2010 00:37

It sure can be done! I wish you and your family every happiness this world has to offer. Keep us posted.

waldenpond
# Posted: 24 May 2010 18:14 - Edited by: waldenpond

hey rick and randy
liked your idea of the upside down umbrella shower. i have a very small bathroom i am renovating in a property we own i am setting off off grid. its not my cabin in the woods, but its very rural, 4000 sq ft, ballroom, stage, huge bed upstairs, large more so down. but, very small bathroom.
its all set up off grid. i've been working on it for a year. tore all the plumbing and pipes out as it looked awful. have rainwater system going. found this real nice camp toilet on side of road. cleaned, took electric out, painted, caulked it right down on pipe that goes to septic. works great.
now, i am thinking of ideas for shower.
the place is on one acre in Amish community. its paid for and taxes 180$ a year. can't camp cheaper. i have hi speed internet there now can be powered with the simple solar set up. wood and cook stove, sterno, propane tabletop stove, outdoor concrete bbq i built.
that shower system is last issue. son is 6'4". we're using solar shower outside now.
there is a drain in the floor so can plumb something using that.
what though?
any ideas yall?
now go easy on the old girl, i do really want any ideas!
ps: using good cooler but the 2$ styrofoam works better. set in cut out in floor in back cool corner. for cold stuff. ice stays frozen for days.

waldenpond
# Posted: 24 May 2010 18:19

pps; had crazy ide of getting one of these food grade white barrels people use for water, cut a "U" shape door in it, rig up shower curtain on cieling, plumb line to drain. what ya think???

RickandRandy
# Posted: 25 May 2010 15:41

Hi Waldenpond, wow, sounds like you have quite the setup! I would say trust your creativity, keeping in mind that it is OK, in my opinion, to not have the final version of your shower right away, but rather to try a few things and see if they work for you, provided they are not overly expensive to implement. Just my thoughts.

waldenpond
# Posted: 25 May 2010 17:13

hey i will have to post pics when i'm done. can only work on the place a little at the time. oh how i wish it were just a little further south!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.